PavelSarwar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Passing awsome times in Mymensingh

Testing Local Food (Halim)Testing Local Food (Halim)

Part of Muktagacha Jomidar BariPart of Muktagacha Jomidar Bari

Side view of Muktagacha Jomidar BariSide view of Muktagacha Jomidar Bari

Infront of Muktagacha Jomidar BariInfront of Muktagacha Jomidar Bari

Monda, is a traditional sweetmeat. The sweet, first made in 1824, is reputed in the subcontinent of India and many countries for its originality, taste and flavour.  Ram Gopal Pal, better known as Gopal Pal, first prepared this sweetmeat in 1824. He offered it to Maharaja Suryakanta Acharya Chowdhury, one of the leading zamindars of Muktagacha. Maharaja Suryakanta was full of praise for Gopal Pal and encouraged him to prepare monda to entertain guests who visited the zamindars. The zamindars also extended financial support to Gopal Pal for the expansion of the business.  Now Sree Ramendranath Pal and Brothers run the business. They are the fifth generation of the Gopal Pal family.Monda, is a traditional sweetmeat. The sweet, first made in 1824, is reputed in the subcontinent of India and many countries for its originality, taste and flavour. Ram Gopal Pal, better known as Gopal Pal, first prepared this sweetmeat in 1824. He offered it to Maharaja Suryakanta Acharya Chowdhury, one of the leading zamindars of Muktagacha. Maharaja Suryakanta was full of praise for Gopal Pal and encouraged him to prepare monda to entertain guests who visited the zamindars. The zamindars also extended financial support to Gopal Pal for the expansion of the business. Now Sree Ramendranath Pal and Brothers run the business. They are the fifth generation of the Gopal Pal family.

Infront of  main building of Muktagacha Jomidar BariInfront of main building of Muktagacha Jomidar Bari

Fish fryFish fry

Meet up with some Local GuisesMeet up with some Local Guises

Unofficial Meet Up at MymensinghUnofficial Meet Up at Mymensingh

@SumaiyaZafrin@ArafatRahmanthanks for joining.

@TraciC@Corrie@HelloJess 

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Mymensingh, Dhaka Division, Bangladesh
6 comments
Googler

Re: Passing awsome times in Mymensingh

I felt like I was right there with you, @PavelSarwar! Muktagacha Jomidar Bari looks like a very cool place to visit. I love history! 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

Hi @PavelSarwar is nice to see that you got a good group of people with you.

Luis Hernández - Querétaro, México. Queretaro Local Guides
Connect Moderator

Thank u @PavelSarwar .Please write about the history of Muktagacha Jomidar Bari.

Connect Moderator

Level 8

@TraciCand @SumaiyaZafrin this is the history. I think u love it...

Mymensingh city is one of the old cities in Bangladesh. Historically & archaeologically it is very important from tourism point of views. Once a traveler wants to travel in this district, he/she will find several places to visit. Muktagacha Zamindar House is one of those.

This old palace is located at the heart of the Muktagacha Upazila, 16km west to the Sadar Upazila. Previously the name of Muktagacha was Binodbari. It is believed that the Zamindars actually came from the Natore or Bogra of our North Bengal. When the first ruler named Srikrishna Acharya arrived here, a local inhabitant named Muktaram Kormokar  welcomed them with a large lamp stand that was made from brass. In that portion of our country, people call a lamp stand as Gachha . This gratitude pleased the Zamindar and they have renamed the area as Muktagacha  using that inhabitant’s name and the lamp stand’s local name.

Srikrishna Acharya established the Zamindari at Muktagacha formerly known as Binodbari. Later, his four sons Ram Ram, Hore Ram , Bishnu, Shibram and their inheritor conducted the Zamindari. The Owner of the Muktagacha Rajabari was Jogot Kishor Acarya , the son of Hore Ram Acharya . His ancestors started to build that Palace in the year 1750-60 which signifies that the structure is almost 300 yrs old.

However, this old house from Muktagacha covers a vast area, though most of the structures are in very poor condition. Few things were stolen by the locals, and others are just dilapidated for not taking any care. We observed two storied iron & steel made house (though floors are all gone, only structure is standing there).

Most of the rulers from this family were cruel and hostile to the peasants. They have lot of allegations against them including raping, torturing, etc. It was considered as a crime whenever a peasant from that area use to cross the Zamindar House using any shoe or umbrella. Guards use to beat them whenever someone committed such crime.

Level 8

Yes, u are right.

I love my team.