Csaba's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Our Calvary

Calvaries in Hungary are a bit different from what the Wikipedia page in English describes. The core element is the same though: the crucifix. However in Hungary (and also elsewhere), the Stations of the Cross are also "required" part of the Calvary. On Good Friday, there is always a process walking and stopping at each station. Even the smallest villages here have calvaries - and on the plain they often build a small hill to "host" the calvary (although there are also completely "flat" ones. 

All right, as a picture is worth a thousand words, here are two photos I took (the first yesterday but the evening shot is from a few years ago): 

Blossoming almond trees with he Calvary Chapel in the backgroundBlossoming almond trees with he Calvary Chapel in the background

The chapel in the eveningThe chapel in the evening

Of course, I also took a bunch (some 26 if I remember correctly) 360 photos, you can see the virtual tour here. Some connections may not work properly yet (interestingly, it starts working on the mobile first all the time). 

This time I uploaded all the photos to Google Photos first and in the info section, added a "description" like in the screenshot below for the station when Simon of Cyrene helped Jesus carrying the cross. 

Adding the descriptionAdding the description

By uploading to Google Photos, the panoramas automatically appear in the Street View App and can be normally "dealt with" but they will retain the description given in Google Photos as you can see for the station of Simon here. This way - where proper and relevant - we can "override" the image title and instead of the "business name", we can add individual names to the photo spheres in a virtual tour. Sorry folks, it is not in English but also there is no option to add descriptions in different languages like in YouTube.

Last but not least, of course, my dog, Málna was also with me. 🙂 

My dog, Málne enjoyed the golden sunshine.My dog, Málne enjoyed the golden sunshine.

Kálvária-kápolna, Pécs, Kálvária Street, Hungary
6 comments
Level 8

Re: Our Calvary

Thanks for Sharing your Calvary

It looks Awesome

@Csaba

Connect Moderator

Thanks @Csaba for the beautiful post. In Italy is exactly the same as for your description, there are 12 stations, and in every stations the people stops.

But in most of the church the "calvary" is inside the church, made by 12 painting showing the stations.

Connect Moderator
Level 10

Yes, @ErmesT, those stations are also part of every church here. These ones are special however as they are built for the purposes of the process made at Easter. Here's another one in a nearby village (where I only had time to take a single panorama). 

And I'll certainly tell my dog about your best wishes! 😊

Former Google Contributor

Thanks a lot @Csaba for sharing! Great photos and review plus your dog Málna is very cute and lovely :).

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 10

Thanks, @MariaBi

She is always lovely to be honest... 🙂