Tomislav_CRO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Off the beaten track - Eastern Croatia on a bike

Nowadays many people cycle along Eastern Croatia as part of the Eurovelo6 and the Greenway routes (from Hungary to Croatia).  However, even if you're not such a passionate cyclist, but you easily imagine yourself spending a few days on two wheels, consider to visit Osijek-Baranja County.

There are several places where you can rent a bike, and here's a link with more information:

http://tzo-bilje.hr/en/cycling-through-baranja

To get the latest information, you can also pay a visit to the Osijek Tourism Board office, which is located directly beside the cathedral. They will be happy to assist you with all your concerns regarding the local bike routes and equip you with brochures, maps and guidebooks.

The best thing about cycling in Osijek and Baranja is that the terrain is completely flat, so you don't have to worry about your endurance capabilities too much.

One of the most popular routes goes from Osijek to Sombor, Serbia, and it's called the Pannonian Peace Route (local name on the signs: Panonski put mira). It's about 70 kilometers long and it mostly follows local roads with little traffic, so it can be quite enjoyable for a pleasant day outdoors. The first 7 kilometres on the route, between Osijek and the village of Bilje, are physically separated from the main road.

This route was the third post-conflict bicycle route in Europe, and it was organized to promote peace and cooperation between Croatia and Serbia. Along this route, you will get a chance to explore a nature park (Kopački rit), and several typical villages, where you'll occasionally get the feeling that the time stopped several decades ago. There are also a few restaurants near the route (check the local word čarda!), while at its end there is a charming town of Sombor in Serbia.

There are several bike lanes in Osijek, too. My favourite one is the route along the Drava River, from Lower Town of Osijek to the suburb of Višnjevac (8 km), as it takes you far enough from the noise of motorized vehicles. If you decide to cycle around Osijek, keep in mind there are about 35 kilometres of separated paths for cyclists, and they stretch along both banks of the River Drava. Some of them can be quite busy and could do renovation, but still – cycling is one of the most popular outdoor activities among the locals.

The other famous route is the Danube Route, which leads towards Dalj, Vukovar and Ilok, but keep in mind that the traffic is much heavier there. It mostly uses state roads and therefore I wouldn't recommend it, at least not if you mostly go cycling for pleasure.

The route between the center of Osijek and VišnjevacThe route between the center of Osijek and VišnjevacThe route on the Osijek PromenadeThe route on the Osijek PromenadeA moment of tranquilityA moment of tranquilityA map with tourist informationA map with tourist informationBlue signs marking the Pannonian Peace RouteBlue signs marking the Pannonian Peace RouteThe entrance to BiljeThe entrance to Bilje

Osijek, Hrvatska
6 comments
Level 4

Re: Off the beaten track - Eastern Croatia on a bike

burazeru, nikoga da to rokne bar jednoga kudosica za ovaj super napisani uradak i s tome jos i bjutiful slike imaju. Totalis njesra. Genijalno je da sam te spazio, a ovdje najslobodnije dopisuj na narodnom jeziku, ima cijeli svijet da te razumije.

Former Google Contributor

Hey @Tomislav_CRO,

Thanks so much for sharing this post! I don't know why I haven't seen it before. I enjoyed reading it a lot. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 4

@NadyaPN wrote:

Hey @Tomislav_CRO,

Thanks so much for sharing this post! I don't know why I haven't seen it before. I enjoyed reading it a lot. 🙂

Draga Nadja, pa ti meni uzimas rijeci iz ustiju. Ti pises ono sto ja mislim. Ti si upravo osoba koja nam treba, Sto bi mi bez tebe? I dobro je da si vifjeta taj post jer je on vazam sa sve Hrvate. Naime radi se o istocnoj Slavonija koja je u Domovinskom ratu bila prva crta obrane od srbijansko-cetnicke agresije.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Tomislav_CRO,

Thank you very much for sharing these routes in the community and also for the map with the tourist information. The cycling route along Drava River from Osijek to Višnjevac looks very nice! Could you please share more photos when you go there again?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

@KatyaL Sure I will, probably these days.

I've checked if I already have some photos from this trail on my computer, but the funny thing is - I rarely remember to stop and take pictures while cycling in my area.

It seems that whenever something is close to us, we tend not to pay too much attention.  🙂

Level 8

@KatyaL So, here are a few more pictures from the bike path between Osijek and Višnjevac! They will show you the atmosphere in late autumn, with fewer people on it.

In spring and summer afternoons, the image would be completely different! At the weekends the path sometimes gets even too busy for my taste. However, I guess I'll have to take a few more shots when it gets warmer again.  🙂

The water mill not far from the center of OsijekThe water mill not far from the center of OsijekThe construction site of the future football stadium (FC Osijek)The construction site of the future football stadium (FC Osijek)The path with the co-cathedral in the backThe path with the co-cathedral in the backAutumn colours on the groundAutumn colours on the groundThe path near the hippodromeThe path near the hippodromePB147302 smanjena.jpgThe bridge on the Drava River on the D7 roadThe bridge on the Drava River on the D7 roadThe Calvinist church in RetfalaThe Calvinist church in RetfalaThe path in late autumnThe path in late autumnThe section trom the D7 bridge to VišnjevacThe section trom the D7 bridge to VišnjevacPB147303 smanjena.jpg