iyudhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Oakland Food and City Crawl!

So we had a last minute decision to do a bit of Oakland city crawl this Sunday. The city has been getting a bad rep over the years and many people it's an unsafe place to live. Personally for me it's just like any major cities. As long as you're cautious and use common sense, you'll be fine.

The result? We had a blast exploring the city while hopping a few local places. 

The day started at the Brown Sugar Kitchen for breakfast. The place serves southern comfort food with chicken and waffles as their specialty. I ordered their special, smoked pork hash and tried some of the chicken and waffles. So delicious. It's not easy to get here, but definitely worth it.

Chicken Waffles, Smoked Pork Hash, Shrimp Grits at  Brown Sugar Kitchen.. Yum!Chicken Waffles, Smoked Pork Hash, Shrimp Grits at Brown Sugar Kitchen.. Yum!

The group was excited to get our first meal of the day :)The group was excited to get our first meal of the day 🙂

Second place we went to was in the Piedmont Ave, which is pretty much our main destination for the day. A few of us been wanting to try the Impossible burger, and we found out that Kronnerburger serves it. So we decided to go there. Impossible is basically a vegan burger and they try to get the texture consistency as close as possible to real meat. I was actually quite impressed. There were some hints that it wasn't a real meat, but close enough.

About to chow down our impossible burgers!About to chow down our impossible burgers!

Impossible burger at KronnerBurger!Impossible burger at KronnerBurger!

KronnerBurger with bone marrow on the side :)KronnerBurger with bone marrow on the side 🙂

After that we decided to walk around Piedmont area a bit more. It's basically a few blocks of road filled with interesting local shops, cafes, and restaurant. I personally really like it. Perhaps one of these days I'll arrange a proper meetup for a food crawl around this area. Should be fun.

Just about two blocks away we noticed there's a Fenton's Creamery. I've heard about this place so much, so we decided to try it out. It was crowded as expected. Their ice cream was good, but honestly it wasn't mind blowing. They have orderly, fast service though, and was able to get through the lines pretty quickly even though the place was packed. You can also chill outside in the patio and sit by the fountain. It's a really nice atmosphere, but probably would've been better if the weather was warmer. One word of advice, their single scoop is huge. I say get the petite size, and it will be more than enough, especially if you're going as part of a food crawl. Trust be you're going to thank me for this.

Enjoying some ice cream outside near the fountain!Enjoying some ice cream outside near the fountain!

Get the petite size. It will be enough. Just trust me on this.Get the petite size. It will be enough. Just trust me on this.

So that was our last destination. It was really a last minute thing, so we didn't really have time to explore other places. We had a great time though, and it's cool to learn more about Oakland, an area that we don't usually frequent. Until next time 🙂

Oakland, CA, United States
3 comments
Level 3

Re: Oakland Food and City Crawl!

What a great and detailed review, @iyudhi! Thanks so much for sharing! Will definitely keep these in mind next time I visit Oakland. 

Also, awesome Local guides pin! 🙂 

Level 8

Hii @iyudhi

Looks like a Delicious Food.

I think you spending great Time with your fellow Local Guides

Thanks for Sharing your Photos.

Level 1

Thanks @iyudhi for outlining your food tour! I may just copy you one of these days.

I have been meaning to try the Impossible Burger, it looks so much like actual beef in your photos!!