Safdarrai's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

My trip to Table Mountains Cape Town South Africa

In 2012, Table Mountain was inaugurated as one of the world's 'New7Wonders of Nature'.

Table Mountains Cape Town South AfricaTable Mountains Cape Town South Africa

Table Mountain is a flat-topped mountain forming a prominent landmark overlooking the city of Cape Town in South Africa. It is a significant tourist attraction, with many visitors using the cableway or hiking to the top.

Since the first person laid eyes on Table Mountain in Cape Town it has exerted its powerful and charismatic pull, enchanting and drawing any and all who fall under its spell. The way to the top has never been easy, and for many centuries only a handful of bold and enterprising people could say that they had climbed it.

By the late 1870's, several of Cape Towns more prominent (and possibly less fit) citizens had suggested the introduction of a railway line to the top. Plans to implement a proposed rack railway got under way but the outbreak of the Anglo-Boer war put a halt to the plans. 

By 1912, with a strong desire to gain easy access to the top of Table Mountain, the Cape Town City Council commissioned an engineer to investigate the various options of transport to the top. The engineer, a Mr. H.M. Peter, suggested that a funicular railway running up from Oranjezicht through Platteklip gorge would be the most suitable option. A vote was held with the vast majority of Cape Town's residents voting in favour. This in spite of its cost a staggering (in 1913) 100000 Pounds.

The Table Mountain project was delayed yet again by war; this time the outbreak of the First World War (1914-1918). The plan was resuscitated in 1926 after a Norwegian engineer, Trygve Stromsoe, presented plans for a cableway to the top of Table Mountain. The plan caught the collective eye of a group of eminent local businessmen. 

The idea that an easy route up would finally become a reality drew them together, forming the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Company (TMACC) to finance the construction. Work began soon afterwards and the project was finished relatively quickly. On the 4th of October 1929, the Mayor of Cape Town, Rev A J S Lewis, headed the official opening ceremony that was attended by over 200 other guests. 

Since it's opening in 1929, over 16 million people have taken the trip to the top of Table Mountain. The Table Mountain cableway has since become something of a landmark in Cape Town.

Table Mountain Cape Town South AfricaTable Mountain Cape Town South Africa

Water front Cape Town South AfricaWater front Cape Town South Africa

Water front Cape Town South AfricaWater front Cape Town South Africa

In front of  Cableway Table Mountains South AfricaIn front of Cableway Table Mountains South Africa

On top Table Mountains Cape Town South AfricaOn top Table Mountains Cape Town South Africa

South Africa
10 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: My trip to Table Mountains Cape Town South Africa

Hi @Safdarrai,

Thank you for sharing this interesting post for Table Mountains in Cape Town.

I have only one advice for you. If you share information that is not written by you, please mention its source/author.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Thank you for your help and guidance @JavieraAu. I will write my experience or I will write source in next post.

I am just slow learner. I am improving my skills slowly slowly looking at other posts. And how others are going.

Hi @Safdarrai

If you want to improve your posts I recommend you to read tips from the following article: What makes a good post? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 6

Those were really nice photos @Safdarrai 🙂 Table Top mountain looks like another must visit. Thanks for sharing them.

Level 9

Hi @JavieraAu. This is really very informative and helpful post by @TraciC. Thanks you again and again for letting me know about this article. I will follow these tips in my next post. I really sorry if something went wrong in my previous posts. I will try my best to bring change in old and new posts with time time.

Best regards:

Safdar Rai 

Level 9

Hi @James8Arthur thank you for your comment. It is true when you visit Cape Town and then Table Mountains you will feel you are in another World. I love to go again again there because the beauty and totally different from the other world.

Hey @Safdarrai,

You've shared some beautiful photos! Thanks for that. I haven't heard about the Table Mountains before, they are quite extraordinary.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

Thank you @NadyaPN . Yes they are exist. Very amazing and beautiful place. And big tourist attraction for whole world. You will feel unique there on top of those table Mountains. Cape Town it self is a unique and extraordinary place.

Level 8

@Safdarrai Thanks for sharing this wonderful trip with us...