SergeySud's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Moscow Apothecary Garden

Moscow University Botanic Garden (Apothecary Garden) - the oldest botanical garden in Russia, founded by Peter the Great in 1706.

On April 1, 1805, the Apothecary Garden was bought by the Imperial Moscow University. Now the Botanical Garden is a subdivision of the biological faculty of the Moscow State University. It has the status of a history and culture monument of Moscow, a monument of landscape art of the 18th century, and a specially protected natural area.

The garden is located in the Central District of Moscow, in 5 minutes walk from the Prospekt Mira metro station.

Now is the time of flowering of tulips and daffodils. I hope that my photos will help to convey the beauty of this place.

Tulips in The Apothecaries' Garden (The Botanic Gardens of Moscow State University) Founded by Peter The Great in 1706Tulips in The Apothecaries' Garden (The Botanic Gardens of Moscow State University) Founded by Peter The Great in 1706Tulips in The Apothecaries' Garden (The Botanic Gardens of Moscow State University) Founded by Peter The Great in 1706Tulips in The Apothecaries' Garden (The Botanic Gardens of Moscow State University) Founded by Peter The Great in 1706Tulips in The Apothecaries' Garden (The Botanic Gardens of Moscow State University) Founded by Peter The Great in 1706Tulips in The Apothecaries' Garden (The Botanic Gardens of Moscow State University) Founded by Peter The Great in 1706

More Photos

Sunday, May, 28, I invite all Local Guides to join the photowalk meetup there. RSVP here

From Moscow with ❤,

Sergey

Ботанический сад МГУ «Аптекарский огород», проспект Мира, Москва, город Москва, Россия
11 comments
Level 10

Re: Moscow Apothecary Garden

@SergeySud

Beautiful tulips ,outstanding photography. 

Thanks for sharing 

Level 10

@SergeySud Beautiful photos and hope you all will have a nice time there.

Connect Moderator

@SergeySud So nice photography...

Hope you all passed a great time.  

Happy guiding!

Connect Moderator

Hermosas fotos, unos tulipanes muy lindos @SergeySud, buena historia del jardín. 👍😀

Level 10

Level 8

@SergeySud nice garden thanks for sharing the photos.

It looks like the "flower island" on lake Constanz in Germany

https://goo.gl/photos/mBzhVZYPKveUFALG6

Walter Sanders
Level 10

@WalterSanders, thank you for your interest,

This place has a rather complicated history. 

In 1812, the garden was badly damaged in the Moscow fire. Most of the buildings and greenhouses were destroyed, many plants and a library were destroyed. 

During the Second World War, in 1940s a large shelter was dug in its territory. After the collapse of the USSR, the garden was abandoned, it was not financed, everything was in great decline.

However, in 1997, Kim Wilkie, a famous British landscape architector was invited, he worked here for 2 years and created the new concept of the garden in the form it looks like today. He designed of a new botanic garden, combined with the restoration of the gardens of Peter the Great and Catherine the Great. The English style of the Royal gardener makes this garden look like European gardens.

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT

This I mean with the hidden treasures here on Connect. Not sure if you have seen.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

No, I havent @TorM. Thanks for tagging me, this is great.

@TorM wrote:

@ErmesT

This I mean with the hidden treasures here on Connect. Not sure if you have seen.

OMG, @SergeySud, this is an amazing place, and I love your story too. What to say about your photos? You are killing me softly, my friend, you know how much I love flowers. Hope you will have a lot of people in the meet-up, I can't wait to read your Recap.

Something for you, Sergey

DSC06980.jpg

All the best for the meet-up (and for your life, of course)

Ermes