Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mapped photos globally accessible after Panoramio discontinued?

Does Google plan to map Panoramio-like photos (i. e. not commercial but just interesting) and to keep them globally available? 

There are lots of areas without Google Street View reach, where photos contributed by users through Panoramio were especially useful. I viewed them until the last day quite actively.

Now, the Google Maps photo layer is limited to "commercial points" even in standalone Google Earth, which I strongly prefer to Maps in browser. 

So is there any hope to see any non-commercial user-generated content in globally accessible mapped photos? Frankly, this is the only subject that made me enter the Local Guides Connect.

4 comments
Street View Moderator

Re: Mapped photos globally accessible after Panoramio discontinued?

Hi @Anonymous,

thanks for sharing this feedback with us!

Currently all users can contribute to Street View by uploading 360 photos.

You can read more about it here https://www.google.com/intl/en/streetview/publish/.

Also if u are interested in knowing where the Google cars will pass next, do not hesitate to visit this page https://www.google.com/intl/en/streetview/understand/ 

Hope it helps!

Vic

Level 6

I feel the same way as you, and I think there is little hope for us. I just got on Google Earth to look at some Panoramio photos of a place I'm hoping to backpack in August, and they're no longer there. Thousands of great photos of wild places, just gone. People may start adding photos again, but I think the geotagging feature is gone for good. The photos will probably have to be tied to a location that already exists on the map like a mountain peak, a named viewpoint, a business, etc. Disappointing. It seems like quite a regressive move to make.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I'm not mistaken, this option requires some specific equipment or a smartphone app, it's not for less smartphone-friendly people, for various reasons... 

A possibility to map photos taken by various cameras without any mobile app, just through PC interface, is still unclear. 

Also, old user-generated photo content is apparently excluded, whatever useful it is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quite a regressive move, exactly 🙂 But it's the logic of all the recent "development" of popular web services. Giant bottoms, few options, all pre-formatted, no pluralism, no flexibility. From our point of view, it is a move backwards to the early www, with self-restrictions in content and interface replacing technical restrictions.