PaulKang's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Local Guide's Journey During Black History Month

Wow @PaulKang, congratulations on your great idea. This is for sure a valuable way to take good advantage of Local Guides for a good cause. Your post is very descriptive and perfectly explains what you are trying to say.

Regards from Buenos Aires

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 10

Wow nice post and congrats @PaulKang this post is now featured on connect's homepage. Thanks @ErmesT for sharing information about this at our HangOut Group

FeaturedFeatured

Googler

Hi @PaulKang. Thanks so much for sharing this post and to @FaridTDF for sharing it with me. I really enjoyed how you tied our experience as Local Guides into the history.

One thing I'd say is that we don't manipulate Google Maps listings (and I know you didn't intend it in a negative way) but we ensure the listings reflect the real world. Sometimes what is reflected isn't pretty but it's an accurate representation of what appears. I love that we can help preserve history (even when it's not good) and do so with each photo, detail or sentiment we share on Google Maps. I personally love seeing how places have changed over my visits through Maps. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

Thanks @TraciC.

My apologies for not choosing better words. I didn't mean to say that the Local Guides Team manipulates Google Maps data. I was referring to the possibility (unlikely) of some guy in a hood and sheets who might be skilled with editing map listings. 

Thank you for allowing me to part of this community and helping to preserve obscure yet important places in history.

Paul

Paul Kang
Greater Nashville, Tennessee
Level 9

Thank You So Much For Thinking About Us.  I Also Notice, The  Lack Of Diversity With In The Google Program, Pertaining To Blacks.  I Contribute Greatly

@PaulKang wrote:

I was encouraged to share this recent adventure of mine and how my efforts as a Google Local Guide intersected with an important part of American history.

February is Black History Month in the United States and a time to remember, celebrate and honor various aspects of African-American heritage. I live in the American South where there are many reminders of the Civil Rights Movement during the 1950's-1960's. This movement pushed for equal rights for black Americans as well as other disadvantaged minority groups.

The movement's earliest and most powerful moments was the aftermath of the brutal murder of 14-year old Emmett Till in August 1955 in a small Mississippi town. Two white men were charged with murder and acquitted by an all-white male jury in 67 minutes despite overwhelming evidence of their guilt. The two men admitted their guilt right after the trial and never spent a night in jail for their crime.

Why was this so powerful?

Even though she was devastated by his death, Emmett Till's mother insisted on having a public open casket funeral. She wanted the whole world to know what happened to her son and why? Emmett was another in a long line of black Americans killed just because of the color of their skin. The publicity surrounding his death, the trial, and his funeral served to mobilize supporters of the Civil Rights Movement into action.

What does this have to do with Google Maps & Local Guides?

There are several groups trying to keep the physical memories of the Civil Rights Movement alive through historic markers, museums, etc., especially in the American South. These groups can become inactive/defunct along with their websites. There are other people who want to ERASE these memories by vandalizing or removing these markers. 

I realized last year that I could do my part as a Local Guide by adding key civil rights movement landmarks to Google Maps with photos so that they would remain accessible to future generations independent of any website. It required extensive research to find the actual physical locations of these landmarks before I added them. I also edited a few others that had incorrect information.

Family Trip to the Mississippi Delta

I want my children to grow up understanding the past so that they appreciate the freedoms that they enjoy today. I took my entire family down to the remote parts of Mississippi known as the Delta. It was so easy to navigate there because I had added/corrected Google Maps listings for several of the Emmett Till-related landmarks.

County Courthouse - Location of Murder Trial & AcquittalCounty Courthouse - Location of Murder Trial & Acquittal 

Vandalized historic marker (at Emmett TIll Interpretive Center) for where Emmett Till's body was found. It is being replaced soon.Vandalized historic marker (at Emmett TIll Interpretive Center) for where Emmett Till's body was found. It is being replaced soon.

Restored historic marker for where Emmett Till was accused of insulting a white woman, triggering his murder.Restored historic marker for where Emmett Till was accused of insulting a white woman, triggering his murder. 

Location of historic marker for where Emmett Till's body was found in a nearby river.Location of historic marker for where Emmett Till's body was found in a nearby river.

Another view of the location where Emmett Till's body was found.Another view of the location where Emmett Till's body was found.

Unless we have racist Local Guides among us who know how to manipulate map listings, the location and pictures of these historically important landmarks will be available for anyone to find and learn from well into the future.

My family's Itinerary on Google Maps

Emmett Till Interpretive Center

Tallahatchie County Courthouse

Emmett Till Historical Marker 

Bryant's Grocery & Meat Market

Emmett Till River Marker 1

Emmett Till River Marker 2

Thank you for allowing me to share my experience as a Google Maps Local Guide.

Paul

And Still Feel Left Aside.

ThaTruthSeka
Level 8

Hi @PaulKang..

This is a very emotional post... Really inspiring to know that how localguides community is touching lives of the people in variety of ways...

Really thanks for sharing your unique experience....

Level 10

Dear Brother @PaulKang, Have a good day. It's Great Post :-), Thanks a Lot! for Sharing with us.

Just Look @Kamalhasnainee @ShafiulB

Best regards

Md. Omar Faruque

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Level 6

wow @PaulKang, nice post..........

Connect Moderator

Hi @PaulKang, thanks for sharing this great story with us. 

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 9

Wow! Thank you for your post! 

I ❤️ being a local guide! My contributions
My Connect Profile