EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Lekki Conservation Centre:: Flora, Fauna and Humans

ENTER THE FOREST

Saturday April 07, 2018 was one of the usual days for Local Guides in Lagos. We convened at another beautiful location to explore the attributes of Lekki Conservation Centre, as organized by Pwana. As usual, I looked forward to enthralling moments. Lekki is one of the fastest growing urban settlement in Lagos and this forest reserve is in its pristine stage. You'd never believe there's a typical natural ecosystem in the heart of the city.

Lekki ForestLekki Forest

Colleagues began to trickle in as early as 9am. Friends, families, children and enthusiasts were ready explore LCC. When we were set to kick-off our tour, we had a crowd.

Shoes-in (Best foots?)Shoes-in (Best foots?)Local GuidesLocal Guides

FAUNA

Monkeys greeted us from the main entrance of the park. They were freely moving around and climbing the trees to our amazement. I think they were fearless or rather would I say they were home. At one point one monkey snatched a bag from a lady and I came to the rescue 🙂 

Peacocks, guinea fowl, snakes and crocodiles were some of the fauna predominant within the forest.

avianavian           MonkeyMonkey

FLORA:

Different species of plants dotted the landscape. Trees, shrubs, herbs, flowers and grasses made up the flora. Some areas where really swampy and you could clearly see the mangroves display their intertwining roots. The heights and sizes of some were really intimidating. At a point we could actually look over the trees from a vantage point. You'd admire nature more from the aerial view.

ForestForestMangroveMangrove

HUMANS:

The meet-up couldn't have been fun without the people. A few Local Guides came with their families and friends. Others met for the first time and some reunited after a long while. Conversations, photographing, games, sighting seeing, canopy walk, map editing and other activities kept the team busy.

Most especially, we got two admirers join the Local Guides during this meet-up. Joy and Osamede were wandering why local guides were taking random photos of plants, flowers, landscape while they were clicking away with their selfies. They approached me and asked what we were doing. I showed them the google map and how we help map the world. They went Wow! Immediately, Joy started taking her photos and made her first contribution - from 0 - 1.

Joy and Osamede are near level 5 already!

Showing new local guides how to...Showing new local guides how to...       Joy and OsamedeJoy and Osamede

HIGH POINTS

It feels great hanging out with people in a nice location. One of the high points for me was overcoming the fear of height! After climbing the longest Canopy in Africa, I found myself "sitting on top of the world." Reminded me of Brandy's hit track in the early 2000s. The LCC Canopy Walk is about 401 meters long and 22.5 meters (73.8 feet) high. It is adjudged the longest in Africa and one of the longest in the World.

My lowest moment was being at the bottom of the tree house. There was no energy to climb the stairs and seeing myself in a photo taken up there made me low! 🙂

To crown it all, I's elevated to encounter new friends and have them join local guides to make the world a better place.

Canopy WalkwayCanopy Walkway

Emeka - sitting on top of the worldEmeka - sitting on top of the worldLocal Guides made history walking the canopyLocal Guides made history walking the canopy

Have you attempted exploring a canopy walkway? What is the highest point you have ever climbed?

@OSAMA@ErmesT  @Julien44 @Christina-NYC @iDepp  @ayann @JonasKL @WaweruM @Haseeb @U-royFelixA

See full amazing  photo album

With Love from Nigeria!

Lagos, Nigeria
23 comments
Level 9

Re: Walking With Naure: Flora, Fauna and Humans

@EmekaUlor Beautiful place & you have amazing writing skills too 🙂
Yes I had been to canopy walkways though not sure about the height.

Regards

Connect Moderator

Beautiful post, @EmekaUlor, I love it.

A canopy walkway is something that I have never tried, but I will (I hope).

I'm moving your post on the right place (share your photos and discoveries)

Ermes

Level 10

Re: Walking High With Naure: Flora, Fauna and Humans

@EmekaUlor This is really incredible to read about the longest canopy walk there. Thanks for sharing this. 

@Haseeb Where is the longest canopy walk in our country Malaysia? We should also try to visit.

Level 10

@EmekaUlor Nice post and beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing...

Level 9

@StephenAbraham wrote:

@EmekaUlor This is really incredible to read about the longest canopy walk there. Thanks for sharing this. 

@Haseeb Where is the longest canopy walk in our country Malaysia? We should also try to visit.

It's in Taman Negara, Pahang. 

I'm lucky to be there twice around 6-7 years back. It's a must visit place specially for a explorer like you 😉

Connect Moderator

@Haseeb thank you for your commendation and sharing your experience. You really do explore and contribute immensely, as a Local Guide. That's really encouraging. 

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT you should try exploring one.  Meanwhile, thanks for moving my post. 

Connect Moderator

@StephenAbraham I am glad you appreciate the natural beauty and canopy walk. You should do one soon and let us know the height. @Haseeb should be able to assist with his experience.

Level 9

Re: Walking High With Nature: Flora, Fauna and Humans

Very very nice post @EmekaUlor :-))

Thank you very much for sharing this wonderful meetup mee Photos 👍👌

Mention all members let Celebrate all of you bro :-))))

Greetings from JORDAN 🎉🎉🎉

And wait a second is this great @Sagir in the last photo !????🎉🎉🎉