KimberlyAnnG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

#LGSummit Attendees on Bikes!!! 🚲

What happens when you plan a bike ride with 15+ Local Guides from all over the world, in San Francisco, the Sunday before LG Summit 17???

THIS happens!

Starting group, additional riders joining in all along the way!Starting group, additional riders joining in all along the way!

Let's see if I can manage to tag them all: @IrenaS@FazZ@YK1001@Andras_H@JulienH@CaduF@MuhannadK@Carl,  More in the comments.  LGC only allows 10 tags...  D;

Using a thread that I started in response to others wanting to bike the city I call home, we put together the idea to rent bikes (I brought my folding bike from home) and ride along the San Francisco Bay shore.  Originally, we were going to ride north from the Ferry Building toward the Golden Gate Bridge.  Plan changed when we realized that San Francisco's Fleet Week was the same weekend.  1 million people flood the city (and especially the areas I was planning to go!) to watch air shows and see the Fleet (the U.S. Navy) and all the grandeur of the giant ships back in port.  This does NOT mix well with cycling.  So we went south instead 🙂

Mission Bay is both an old and new part of town in San Francisco.  Home to the Port of San Francisco, it used to be busy with all of the docks and warehouses needed to handle our shipping.  Oakland has really taken over most of that on the opposite side of the Bay and SF's port is slowly fading out.  

I LOVE these doors.  Beautiful urban decay.I LOVE these doors. Beautiful urban decay.

But one thing that Silicon Valley knows how to do masterfully is pivot!  That is exactly what's happening here in the Mission Bay neighborhood. 

In early 2015, Marc Benioff, CEO of Salesforce, opened UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital.  Nearly two years later the neighborhood is showing signs of all that growth.  Shiny new apartment buildings, upswing in business for all the shops and restaurants in the area.  Some really good food and locally crafted spirits are found there now.  You can still see the remains and some operational manufacturing and shipping warehouses.  The ones that are closed are being renovated into loft spaces and businesses while preserving their old bones.  The architecture there is beautiful!

The old Pier 70 Area: Bethlehem Steel Office Building - Building 101.  One of many that is being renovated for a new life!The old Pier 70 Area: Bethlehem Steel Office Building - Building 101. One of many that is being renovated for a new life!

We biked out, using Google Maps biking directions, to Philz Coffee and then slowly made our way back to Justin Herman Plaza.....with the exception of me.  My bike got a flat tire when we were nearly done 😧  I had to Uber the rest of the way and let my new friends go on without me..... 

The green line is our bike tour timeline.The green line is our bike tour timeline.

Pro Tip!:  We set up Location Sharing on Google Maps with all of those on the bike ride and a few that wanted to try and catch up with us.  Best idea EVER!!!!  Because of Location Sharing, at least 3 Summit attending Local Guides were able to join up with us!  I'm going to do this for ALL future Meet Ups.  It just made it sooooo much easier!  Through out the Summit, we continued to use Location Sharing and it saved the day on more than a few instances!

So who's ready to sign up for the NEXT Pre-Summit Bike Tour of SF?  I know I am!  Better get to work on earning my way back!!!  Starting NOW!!!  😄  I hope we all get to do this again next year!

?Kimberly on Social ? Google Maps  ? Instagram ? Facebook ? Twitter ?️YouTube ?San Francisco Local Guides

Mission Bay, San Francisco, CA, United States
26 comments
Level 9

Re: #LGSummit Attendees on Bikes!!! 🚲

More tags of people who participated.  @AlejandraMaria@JeanRV@JosephZhan@AlexanderChalkidis@AnnaBcn   UGH!  I know I'm missing a few.  Please tag them if you can in the comments!

?Kimberly on Social ? Google Maps  ? Instagram ? Facebook ? Twitter ?️YouTube ?San Francisco Local Guides

Level 8

I'm ready to sign the next Pre-Summit Bike Ride.

I've just awakened due to jetlag.

Kim, you know what's next after we dismissed at around AT&T Park?  We(some of us due to the early dinner time for next very early morning departure to Yosemite!)continued acrossed the Golden Gate Bridge and I took the lead!

That's very exciting and yes it's way more people than few days ago my wife and I acrossed the bridge!

We will add more photos later.

Joseph Zhan
Level 10

Wow Kim! Didn't know about this tour! 🙂

Great idea and perfect realization! Love the sharing location idea!

Thanks for sharing!

Connect Moderator

Thanks @KimberlyAnnG for shating this beautiful experience of pre-Summit2017 moments.

Unfurtunately, arriving in San Francisco on monday, I've lost the opportunity of being with you in this amazing experience.

I want to take this opportunity to thank the LG of San Francisco, mostly you and @KarenVChin for the continuous help to the members arrived from other country, guiding us in the visit of your wonderful city.

I'm moving your post in "sharing your photos and discoveries" board, for the other members of the community to enjoy your post. Wonderful is a reductive word in this case.

Thanks for being you

Ermes

Level 9

@ErmesT so lovely to finally make your acquaintance!  This year's LG Summit 17 continued the fine tradition set last year.  A widely diverse group of people assemble for a short period to bathe in the diversity, culture, food, technology and natural beauty of a place I am so fortunate to call home 😄  I have to say that I love every second of sharing what I have with all of you.  I smiled and laughed more last week than I have since Summit 16.  

Welcome to a lucky and hard working group of Local Guides!  Now that we all know each other and are so excited about all that we brainstormed, let's keep it rolling!  The party never ends if you don't let it.  Ask any one of the original 75.  This experience is one that changes everyone in the best way.  

#NeverStop #Queen  😄

Level 9

I like this Meetup it's amazing @KimberlyAnnG

And all enjoy there time :-))))

@MuhannadK @AlejandraMaria @Badruddeen @MaxWalsh @FazZ @IrenaS and all

Looking great guys :-))))))

Thanks for sharing Kim 🙂

Level 8

Thank you @KimberlyAnnG for organizing and leading the urban discovery bike tour:) that was fun. next time we have to bike the Golden Gate:)

Level 10

We had a great time, biking around town. I liked the ride! 

Instagram  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Web Page  |

Level 7

Thanks for everything @KimberlyAnnG... not only for organizing everything but also for saving my ride with your 'air pump'.

The day was great, fun and I hope to see them again. 😉