BishowvijayaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Kumari Pooja - worshipping of girls before the age of puberty

Kumari - each baby girls sitting infront of their mumsKumari - each baby girls sitting infront of their mums

Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal, is full of diversed culture. Newars being the indigeneous citizens are the pillars of the culture. Kumari Pooja (worshipping of Kumari girls) is one of the best culture they have been practising from long ago.

[ I encountered this fest accidently when I was walking around for mapping. ]

Kumari refers to the baby girl who has not yet entered to the age of puberty. Commonly people translate the word 'Kumari' as a 'virgin girl' but this doesn't properly gives the depth of the word. Virgin also means the new. New means pure and untouched. Girls of this age (referring to picture) do not have any kind of prejudice, affection, infactuation, ego, emotions or any acquired bad habits. They are simply innocent and good. The goodness is the godliness. Hence these little flowers are worshipped.

The darkest side is that we use to hear from around the globe that kids are sexually abused, harashed or raped. So the cultural practice that Newar community is following needs to be spreaded elsewere throughout the globe.

Beside treating each little girls as a form of goddess Nepal is well known for existance of living goddess. A girl from Newar community who has 32 special characters and 64 arts is selected as a goddess Kumari. By birth they behave differently than normal kids; no any infringement, no any attachment. She is kept at Kumari Ghar. Every evening people get a chance to have a glance at her but taking photo is not allowed. Several times I saw many tourists waiting to see her.

Kids are the form of god & goddess. Keep treating them nicely. 🙂

Kathmandu, नेपाल
15 comments
Level 10

Re: Kumari Pooja - worshipping of girls before the age of puberty

wishing to share this cuture with some of my local guide fellows who are best dads and mums too. 😃

@AlejandraMaria @Justine2807 @OSAMA @LaxmiG1 @Sagir @DavidTito

Former Google Contributor

Hey @BishowvijayaP,

This is such a nice tradition. 🙂 I'm happy you stumbled upon it so that we can learn about it too. Thank you!

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

This is very interesting to here @BishowvijayaP and thanks for sharing with us.  

I always love to learn about other people's culture ... 

Kind regards

Sagir..

I know you have same enthusiasm as me check this out @ValeriaA_ @Julien44 @Anonymous

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 10

Oh wow @BishowvijayaP I had no idea about this. Thank you very much for sharing it with us, I can see that this cultural tradition has a very deep meaning.

@Sagir thank you very much for tagging me, you know I always like to learn new things about other cultures 🙂

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 8

@BishowvijayaP, of course, thank you, my dear friend, you still haven't released your, age haha I'm kidding my best wishes to you and your family and culture,

Happy birthday from me 

Level 10

Thank you so much for checking in @NadyaPN 🙂

Level 10

Thank you so much for noticing the content and sharing with valuable local guides @Sagir bhai 🙂

Level 10

Thank you so much @ValeriaA_ for your nice feedback. i will keep continue to nurture your knowledge with our culture 🙂

Level 10

Hey bro @DavidTito i have potential of what you indicated. hahaha. thank you so much for your lovely feedback. Its my pleasure to have your birthday wish everywhere. 🙂