Vinvan's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Incorrect, poor, spam photos - a significant problem !

There is a significant problem with Google maps photos. Yesterday  I visited the Statue of Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav, in Bratislava - the first photo below. Of the 199 photos on GMaps for this POI, I estimate 70% were incorrect places, spam or poor photos. 😱 See a FEW examples attached. 😡
I do give feedback, often, but it’s a large global problem.

The Hviezdoslav statueThe Hviezdoslav statue

046A5329-E025-4A69-BB29-CE5DE1EFCF52.png

BDFF243C-4D2B-4B06-95DD-9A1D2D4D3F36.png

A973F67A-5E0B-44E2-BEEA-74A115977FDC.png

E362D83F-BA03-4BA4-BC75-D5063E1DD1FC.png

2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Incorrect, poor, spam photos - a significant problem !

Hi @Vinvan you can flag inappropriate photos and in extreme cases report the Local Guide themselves here on Connect by reaching out to a Googler. Don't post their actual details (some of these images for example have names) as it is a violation of their privacy.

Quite a lot of the contributions seem to be for a market that is held in the area the statue is in. While they shouldn't be on the statue they do convey the vibe and feel of the market that is there. 

Regards Paul

Level 7

Re: Incorrect, poor, spam photos - a significant problem !

I've noticed the same thing.

In one recent instance, I was browsing a location, looking at photos. I noticed a few that obviously had nothing to do with the location, so I reported them as such.  Noting that they were from the same contributor, I clicked on her profile (a level 6 local guide) and found that most if not all of her photos don't match the locations, and are likely just copied form sources from around the internet.  I've gone through and reported several, but after a while the reCAPTCHA verification kicks into super-secure mode, and the process becomes even more tedious.  (I'm getting a little burnt-out identifying blurry street signs, vehicles, and hills.)

Is there a more appropriate / efficient way of correcting issues like this?