EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Imo Famous Statues

The 36 Walk has led me to discover a new place and given me opportunity to get first-hand photos.

In 2017, the Governor of Imo State invited the President of South Africa, Jacob Zuma to commission a statue in his honour.The Governor later informed the world that he still had more statues to unveil! He wasn't joking.

The statues were set like the monolithic human figures carved by the Rapa Nuiin in Moai, Easterland. 

The Imo StatuesThe Imo Statues

The Statues are erected inside the Ojukwu Memorial Square. While entering the Memorial Square, flags of various African countries gives you an insight of what is ahead.

FlagsFlags

Some of the completed statues are replicas of some Nigerian and African Leaders; they include:

Nnamdi Azikiwe (Nigeria), Kwame Nkurumah (Ghana), Ellen Sirleaf Johnson (Liberia), Nana Akufo Addo (Ghana), Jacob Zuma (South Africa)  and 6.Abubakar Tafawa Balewa (Nigeria); while the rest four are yet to be named, no need to guess, I just have to leave them until confirmed.  

20180421_123246.jpg

20180421_123304.jpg

20180421_123331.jpg

20180421_123345.jpg

20180421_123358.jpg

20180421_123425.jpg

I believe there are plans for more large sculptures... and this memorial square has become an international tourist attraction without equal!

Amphitheatre?Amphitheatre?PavilionPavilion

This arena has become a centre of attraction, you may need to find time to visit the Ikemba Memorial Square. It is also linked to the Children's Playground with wonderful toys and tunnels.

Here is a list of other great places within the environs you could check out, of course, with your family and friends- https://goo.gl/maps/YEhZ9xP1Net

There are popular sculptures around the world. From Statue of Liberty (U.S) to The Redeemer in Brazil.

Kindly share with us the popular statues in your city or country. You may also tell us your favourite.

@ErmesT@PaulPavlinovich@Atsukot@KarenVChin@OSAMA@Julien44@brittym@TraciC@HelloJess

xoxo

Emeka

Lagos, Nigeria
21 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Imo Famous Statues

Hey @EmekaUlor,

Thanks for sharing about the Imo statues with us. It was interesting reading about them.

My favourite statue in the city I live is this one: 

Image result for алеко константинов витошаSource: Google Images

This is Aleko Konstantinov, a famous Bulgarian writer from 19th century. Except for his literature he is known for his progressive thinking and as a founder of the tourism in Bulgaria. He is one of my favourite historical figures in my country. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Hi my friend @EmekaUlor,

Thanks for tagging me in your great post!

You made my start of day difficult.... I couldn't find any picture of famous statues.

I finally found one. It is the Victoria Memorial in London.

IMG_2009.JPG

Hi guys @Sagir, @Anonymous, @ValeriaA_@AkmalB@AlejandraMaria@DavidTito@NareshDarji@FazeelUsmani, @Anonymous

Did you see that post?

Have you got some famous statues to be shared here?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day

Jul

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EmekaUlor thanks for sharing with us about these amazing statues 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tagg @Julien44, this is excellent post by @EmekaUlor 👏👏👏!

We are learning about our histories!!!

This is the best known statue in Serbia: The victorThe Victor statue in Belgrade, Serbia. Source: internetThe Victor statue in Belgrade, Serbia. Source: internet

Thanks!!!

Level 10

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for sharing your famous statue. It reminds us the Balkan wars.

Belgrade seems to be a great place.

Level 10

Hi @EmekaUlor, amazing statues. Take a look at Hyderabad "36" photo walk which also include some statues and portraits. Here is the link

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Julien44

Belgrade is indeed a great place!

A lot of history and modernity at once!

Level 10

Hi @EmekaUlor

Thank you for sharing the Famous statues in  Ojukwu Memorial Square. It will be a super thing when it is complete and all the large sculptures are complete ... and this memorial square has become an international tourist attraction without equal. I think it would be a great thing to see even as it is with all you have shown us here. Fantastic Annual 36 Photo walk caring and sharing. 

Thank you for sharing these excellent pictures with top information about who they all are. The flags look terrific as well. I would love to go along each one with our Google Maps and see where they are from all the places around Africa! 

Governor Arthur PhillipGovernor Arthur Phillip

This statue from our Local area is from the Botanical gardens in Sydney Australia. It is of Governor Aurthur Phillip, The first Governor of New South Wales. 

Captain Aurthur PhillipCaptain Aurthur PhillipThe first Governor of NSWThe first Governor of NSW

Thank you again for sharing

Best wishes

@Justine2807

Connect Moderator

@Justine2807wow! You just blew my mind with these photos of Capt Arthur Philip's statues. He must be a great man. I will read more about him. And I would mention that these monumental artworks really helps young people learn about our histories.

Thank you for sharing.

Kind Regards,

@EmekaUlor