JS7's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5
Level 5

I Wonderful trip to the mountains

It was a day like any other day, I got the urge to go and visit my old mountain retreat, where an old friend of mine and I would journey to once or twice a year for the last 10 years or so. It is a small little place in the Sierra mountains and the name of the town it is named after is Kyburz.  Kyburz was a land of enchantment, a free wilderness camp ground were a city folk like myself and Cl could go and just get back to nature and enjoy the wonders of the way it used to be. Kyburz is located off highway 50 up past Placerville and on the way to South Lake Tahoe. It is just an unassuming side road that goes back 10 miles to our little campground, we always went to the same place to camp, but we walked all over miles and miles of trails and non-trails. The photos will be of the Silver fork camp ground which is at silver fork river and bridge, whit is where we always stayed. I got luck this day it was late in the snow season and the Park people had opened up the chains which keep you our during winter but we had a late snow of a couple of inches so I did get to get some photos of the snow as well. As I was saying some of the photos are of the campground some of the trip up to the camp ground along highway 50 and some of the trip home from the campground I will try to list them all here and you can open another window and follow along with the pictures I will link to.
The very first photo is of the bridge at Silver fork campground, it goes over Silver fork river which is a stream in summer and a raging river as the snows thaw. The second photo shows what Cl taught me and that is to always be looking down and around for all the wonders you can find, in this case a Quarter. The next shot is of one area at Kyburz and the next a mushroom, one of my fascinations. As you can see all the photos have a caption so you can follow along looking at all the different places we would go in the area. Kyburz 31 is of the same bridge you saw at the beginning but from down on the other side of both the river and the road that crosses the bridge. Kyburz 3 was a memorial someone left for a pet which passed away. CL did the same I think when his favorite dog passed, he and I would take him up there and let him run wild. Kyburz 28 is of the signs at Silver Fork. Kyburz 24 is of some succulents poking their heads up to see if it is safe to start growing up, Kyburz 15, I just had to make a snowball, it was my duty. 14 a fallen tree. Of course I had to walk it. 11 Believe it or not this little pond which has a tiny stream flowing down to the river has small little fish we see every year. My goodbye shot is from the Silver Fork Bridge which is so dilapidated it is a wonder it has not fallen into the river by now. The Bridal Falls shot was made on the trip up and is on Hwy 50 on the right side going up. No that's not me just another sight seer like me.
The river is on the right going up 50 and the rocks are on the right going down from Kyburz. 38 that's my little car and I am pulled off on a side road to take a rest and dangle my feet in the river. 36 is some rafter going down the River which runs along Hwy. 50. I don't know if the second rafter was the same person or another they go down in groups. 23 not me again just another sight seer. Here is a link to all the photos mentioned in the story: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ZZEE-WPHnhaGU1MkpXUjB3b1k/view?usp=sharing

Kyburz, CA, USA
1 comment
Level 10

Re: I Wonderful trip to the mountains

@JS7 Nice description. I can only see one photo. Would love to see more photos.