Prodeep's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Henley-on-Thames

Hi all, 

The rowing scenes in the movie 'The Social Network' was filmed in this wonderful scenic stretch of river Thames. Henley-on-Thames is home to the Henley Royal Regatta and is known world over for rowing races and the clubs here are Olympic and world champions.How often can one step out of the house into a boat and sail away to work without traffic;)How often can one step out of the house into a boat and sail away to work without traffic;)

Rowers go about their daily practice. The narrow path along the stretch makes for a lovely walk.Rowers go about their daily practice. The narrow path along the stretch makes for a lovely walk.

There are boats for hire here to sail away with.There are boats for hire here to sail away with.

Marsh Lock is a mile further down the stretch.Marsh Lock is a mile further down the stretch.

Rowing clubs lined up in the background  as two row away.Rowing clubs lined up in the background as two row away.

Wonder if  Renoir was ever here. This photo is a modern representation of his famous 1875 painting titled' 'The Skiff' (La Yole).Wonder if Renoir was ever here. This photo is a modern representation of his famous 1875 painting titled' 'The Skiff' (La Yole).

Image1366.jpg

Hope you liked it.

Cheers! 

Henley-on-Thames, UK
4 comments
Level 8

Re: Henley-on-Thames

Loved it! Thanks for sharing @Prodeep as someone new to the UK I'm super keen to learn all of it little - and beautiful - hidden places!

Level 8

Hey @Steena glad you like it and hope you make the best of it during your stay! Henley simply happened while taking a walk on top of the Tower Bridge exhibition.;) A moonlight painting on sale at Harrod's got me going to this quaint place called Marlow:) I never missed a weekend for travelling no matter what the weather was. More coming up soon! In the meanwhile do checkout King Penguins and Windsor posts here.

Cheers!

Former Google Contributor

Hey @Prodeep,

This is a great post indeed! I didn't know about this place and you've taken some lovely photos. Thanks for sharing!

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Glad you enjoyed it @NadyaPN! Henley also has 18th century bridge over Thames and small cafe at one end. Walking the stretch on a cool day from one end to the other is a really a pleasure. Actor Orlando Bloom has a property here, dunno which one though!;)

Cheers!Sight seeing boat 'New Orleans' on sail.Sight seeing boat 'New Orleans' on sail.