lalitmarodiya's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

GAGRON FORT- UNESCO world heritage site in Rajasthan

Gagron Fort is a fine example of a hill and water fort. It is one of the six hill forts of Rajasthan to be a part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site list. Surrounded by the tranquil waters of the Ahu, Kali and Sindh rivers on three sides, the fort is indeed a sight to behold. A beautiful mausoleum of Sufi saint Mitheshah just outside the fort is the venue for an annual colourful fair held during the month of Moharram. Fort covered by water from three sideFort covered by water from three side

Example of water and hill fortExample of water and hill fort

Second water fort in IndiaSecond water fort in India

Gagron Fort, Gagron, Rajasthan, India
4 comments
Level 2

Re: GAGRON FORT- UNESCO world heritage site in Rajasthan

Hi @lalitmarodiya

One of most beautiful site in Rajasthan

Level 9

The foundation of the Gagron Fort was laid during the 7th century and due to its highly defensive and impregnable nature, it took almost 7 more centuries to be completed, which was around the 14th century. The fort was ruled and controlled by the Khinchi rulers of Jhalawar district and was one of the most vibrant cities in the medieval period of India. This was prior to the time when Jhalawar, Kota and Bundi had not appeared as cities or districts on the map of the princely state of Rajasthan. 

It was believed that Alaudin Khilji  had invaded Gagron in the year 1300 which was snatched away from him by the Maharaja Jaitsi. Maharaja Prataprao, the direct descendant of King Jaitsitransformed Gagron to a full-fledged city and made it the richest city of Malwa plateau. Later, in his life, he castigated all the luxuries of life including his family life went on to attaining Nirvana. This desire of Raja Prataprao made him abdicate the throne and move towards religious preaching and become renowned by the name of “Saint Pipa”. He became one of the 12 saints of the famous ‘Ramanand Sampradaiya’ and there is also a monastery in his name situated in Dwarka within the state of Gujarat, referred to as Pipa Math

Level 6

@lalitmarodiya

I desperately want to see this fort on my next visit! It's just so out of the way. I'll be in Bundi, heading down towards Bassi (near Chittorgarh) - but Gagron is in a different direction, do you think a day trip from Bundi would be a good idea @lalitmarodiya. Just east of Gagron is another fort I wish to see - Gugor Fort, on the Parbati River. Too many forts, not enough time 🙂

Thanks for sharing your info.

Best wishes

James

Level 9

Hi @James8Arthur

You are right uncountable forts constructed in Rajasthan each and every one of them have their own story of Vellore and attraction of their architecture. Rajasthan is so rich in ancient architecture which attract people all over the world