NareshDarji's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Exploring the Polo Forest an ancient city, a gateway to Rajasthan (INDIA)

The ancient Polo city was built around the river Harnav, an ancient water body spoken of in the Puranas. It is believed to have been established in the 10th century by the Parihar kings of Idar, and was then conquered in the 15th century by the Rathod Rajputs of Marwar.  The name is derived from pol, the Marwari word for "gate," signifying its status as a gateway between Gujarat and Rajasthan. It was built between Kalaliyo in the east, the highest peak in the area, and Mamrehchi in the west, considered sacred by the local adivasis.  Together they block sunlight for most of the day, which might provide an explanation for the otherwise mysterious abandonment of the ancient city.

The 400 square km area of dry mixed deciduous forest is most lush between September and December after the monsoon rains when the rivers are full, but at any time of the year it provides a rich wildlife experience. There are more than 450 species of medicinal plants, around 275 of birds, 30 of mammals, and 32 of reptiles. There are bears, panthers, leopards, hyenas, water fowl, raptors, passerines, and flying squirrels (mostly heard, rarely seen), all living under a canopy of diverse plants and trees. During winter, all manner of migratory birds occupy the forest; during the rainy season there are wetland birds.

Until recently, this area was not well-known, and saw very few visitors. The numbers have increased dramatically in the last few years, thanks to a few individuals working to promote its beauty. This increased flow comes with a price, however. It is important to remember, as visitors, to approach each destination and its inhabitants, human or otherwise, humbly, openly, and with the awareness that every interaction, no matter how slight, carries its own impact on the area whether we know it or not.

IMG_20160709_103626.jpg

IMG_20160709_103226.jpg

IMG_20160709_103841.jpg

IMG_20160709_095615.jpg

IMG_20160709_095237.jpg

IMG_20160709_104924.jpg

IMG_20160709_101130.jpg

IMG_20160709_095736.jpg

20160709_095309.jpg

ForestForest

ForestForest

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Polo Forest, Abhapur, Gujarat, India
3 comments
Level 10

Re: Exploring the Polo Forest an ancient city, a gateway to Rajasthan (INDIA)

Woww, Amazing photos and well explanation. It reminds me the Jungle Book story 🙂
Hope to have this chance to visit this beautiful, green and ancient place. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Connect Moderator

Thanks @Amiran

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 8

Wonderfull place @NareshDarji !

IVery nice pictures !! It so easy to find a place like that in my country a amazing mix between the nature &  history... really thanks for sharing this with us bro!!