iyudhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Exploring Gaming Themed Cafes/Bars in Tokyo!

I like video games. Probably not as hard core as some people are, but maybe a bit more than just casual gamers. During my previous few layovers in Tokyo, I tried visiting a few gaming cafes/bars belonging to some of my favorite franchises. Two are Square Enix related (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc), and two are related to Monster Hunter series. Here are a few in no particular order

MonHan Bar (Monster Hunter Bar or モンハン酒場)

This is probably my favorite of the bunch. I'm really into Monster Hunter World recently, so visiting this place was truly a fun experience. They have food styled from the game, decorations resembling weapons from the game, and the game OST playing in the bar. There are four TVs connected to four PS4s so you can start a full hunt with your friends while you're there. A few photos below, but here's the link to more photos -  Monster Hunter Bar Photos

2z1RGQ2

CNnuV2b

w9tuJNF

ARTNIA Cafe

This is a Square Enix themed cafe located in Shinjuku. When I came there, it was New Year's day, so it wasn't really the best time to visit. I came about half an hour before the opening of the cafe, and the line was probably about 100 people long. I didn't have much time to do that day anyway, so I braved the cold weather and stood in line. Was it worth it? It depends I guess. I'm a big Final Fantasy fan, so I really wanted to try this out. All in all, I probably won't wait that long again for my next visit. The food didn't just look good, but they were also styled really nice. They also have a section displaying merchandises from the games. A few are exclusives, but they're quite pricey, so I didn't buy anything. Got a nice coaster for dining in, so that would be my souvenir.

UzAGgFH

XpHYict

BP5OZxy

Capcom Cafe in Saitama

Ok, so technically this is not in Tokyo, but in the neighboring city of Saitama. It takes about one hour and a some minutes by train to get here from Tokyo. I had some extra time before my flight, so decided to give it a shot. I didn't actually dined here since I was still full, but they also serve gaming themed food and drinks. They often have special menu periodically, and when I came it was Monster Hunter themed. At the front they have a nice merchandise section selling goodies that would be hard to get outside Japan. Save to say I bought a few stuff here. A few photos below, but here's a link to the full album - Capcom Cafe Photos

4qkqLrv

NhTbzVG

jeyE7c0

Square Enix Cafe, Akihabara

Last but not least, it's another Square Enix themed cafe in Akihabara. This is probably my least favorite. Trying to get a reservation here as a foreigner is a huge hassle. You basically need to reserve a ticket through Lawson (a convenience store like 7-11), then you need to go to a physical store to get the ticket the next day. As you need to book weeks in advance, it's pretty much impossible to reserve unless you live in Japan. I swung by any way since I was in the area just to look. They have a small section selling merchandises, but nothing really caught my eye. I looked over the menu and it didn't look that great either, so it's probably a good thing I didn't dined in there. What I like about the cafe is the decorations. When I came, they were promoting a Dragon Quest game, so the whole place was decorated based on the game. Pretty nice touch I say. In front of the cafe, there are a few benches and it has become an unofficial gathering place for those that plays portable games to meet up and play with each other. I noticed people gathered to play 3DS games together, and also Pokemon Go.

S0ey4y7

jIpWP9x

2DD7Ssp

Well, that's the end of my gaming themed cafe/bar in Tokyo. How about you? Do you have anything like this near where you live? If yes, I'd love to learn more about it 🙂

Tokyo, Japan
15 comments
Level 8

Re: Exploring Gaming Themed Cafes/Bars in Tokyo!

This is a very interesting post @iyudhi

Thank you for sharing a wonderful post with amazing content.

I particularly like the direction stickers on the floor to go to the restroom. 😉

Cheers

Level 10

I've been to the Square Enix Cafe in Akihabara when I was there late last year.

As far as I know, there aren't really any gaming cafes in Sydney as far as I know, but it's really cool to see that Monster Hunter themed cafe there, since I'm a massive fan of Monster Hunter. So good, so good! Japan has literally everything.

MonHan has such an amazing set-up! I wish gaming was a lot more revered in Australia. Appreciate the share.

P.S. I am absolutely digging that Deviljho figurine. I thoroughly dislike the pickle, but I absolutely love the design.

P.S.S. I play Dual Blades and Insect Glaive. 😛

Former Google Contributor

Woah, @iyudhi!

This is so cool! I'm not familiar with most of the games you've mentioned, but the places you've visited are super nice. I've never been to anything similar. Also, your photos are just A+. Thanks for sharing this!

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Hi @iyudhi Good day. I read your post. It's very much interesting. I love also gaming. Thanks a lot! For your post sharing with us. Best of Luck!!

Best WishesBest Wishes

Brst Regards

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Connect Moderator

@Badruddeen Haha they do make things easier. In a few train stations, there are also directions like this, specifically for trains that go to the airport. Definitely useful when you're pressed on time 🙂

@Briggs Which Monster Hunter game do you play? Monster Hunter World is actually my first MonHun game, and I got hooked instantly. I started with dual blade (like most noobs did), moved to lance, and now dabbling with greatsword. If you're on PS4, feel free to add my PSN: Boilers21. Maybe we can play together sometimes 😄

@NadyaPN Yea I guess this is one of the many unique things that you can find in Japan. I'm hoping the trend will spread out worldwide at some point 🙂

@OmarBD Thanks for the kind words!

Level 8

@iyudhi wrote:

@Badruddeen Haha they do make things easier. In a few train stations, there are also directions like this, specifically for trains that go to the airport. Definitely useful when you're pressed on time 🙂

@Briggs Which Monster Hunter game do you play? Monster Hunter World is actually my first MonHun game, and I got hooked instantly. I started with dual blade (like most noobs did), moved to lance, and now dabbling with greatsword. If you're on PS4, feel free to add my PSN: Boilers21. Maybe we can play together sometimes 😄

@NadyaPN Yea I guess this is one of the many unique things that you can find in Japan. I'm hoping the trend will spread out worldwide at some point 🙂

@OmarBD Thanks for the kind words!

OK. I'll add a video of Monster Hunter Bar here. 🙂

Enjoy.

Level 10

@iyudhi my first Monster Hunter game was I believe Monster Hunter 4U on the 3DS. I didn't really end up playing it after the main story (from which high rank just started becoming way too hard) but I've clocked hundreds of hours on Monster Hunter World.

I'd like to think that I'm diversifying on my weapons, but I think getting the hang of insect glaive is awesome alongside dual blades. I'm okay with lance too.

I am on PS4. I've been trying to cut down playing Monster Hunter World (I used to spend 5 days a week just holed up at home playing PS4), so I started going out for Maps contributions and a bit of Ingressing too. I'll add you soon!

By the way, Lunastra is giving me such a hard time. I already finished the missions, but I am getting melted all the time!

Level 8

Hi @Briggs @iyudhi

Check my video there. 🙂

Cheers

Connect Moderator

@Briggs LOL. I actually just got a used copy of MH4U and started playing it this week. It's nice since I can have short play time during breaks at work. Lunastra gets a bit easier over time, but Arch Kirin is really giving me the trouble. I think I only finished one hunt last night (granted they were all with SOS groups). I like it though.. it's not fun if it's too easy right 😄

@Badruddeen I saw the video.. very cool. Now you know how my experience is when I was there! I really like that place 🙂