LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Entering Garbatella

This is one of my favourite areas of Rome.

Truly an amazing corner of tranquillity, a peaceful oasis within the city. You are close to the crowdy streets, but you cannot hear a sound, except for the birds.

From Wikipedia:

Garbatella is a quarter belonging to the Municipio XI of the comune of Rome, in the Ostiense district. Its population counts nearly 45,000.

It was founded in the late 1920s on an estate bearing the same name lying on a hill adjacent to the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls. The older section of the area is divided into project units (Italian: lotto), each of them made of several buildings grouped together around a common yards: this design was borrowed from the Garden city movement. This kind of architectural agglomeration in Rococo style, consists of a common garden area which serves as an informal meeting point for all the families that live in the lotto.

Here you can find the original citizens from that years, still living here. It represents the truly spirit of Rome and romans.

Schermata 2017-03-06 alle 23.04.21.png

In this virtual tour, i tried to connect two already mapped street view areas, with a route inside the villas, starting from a POI: Fontana della Carlotta

Schermata 2017-03-06 alle 23.03.51.png

The photosphere are being made with my Samsung Gear 360 on lean; i'm a little disappointed about overall quality and effectiveness of this cam.

Works better if you have a Samsung Galaxy S series high end smartphone, and i did'nt get the chance to operate remotely with my devices; i had to shut manually, using 10s delay, directly from camera (so you can find me in some shoots).

The two images don't stitch in camera, so i had to use a template on PTGui to prestitch, and i have some minor stitching issues.

The dynamic range is narrow; maybe a little less than Ricoh Theta S (that i can control with my smartphone using SV App or Theta App, available for any platform).

I will try to cover further areas of Garbatella, but it's not a straightforward worflow.

Hope you like it!

Garbatella, RM, Italia
20 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Entering Garbatella

beh @LucioV, non ti presenti male come passante sulla scalinata 🙂

Conosco poco la parte sud di Roma, per cui questo tour mi fa molto piacere.

Grazie per la condivisione

Level 10

Grazie @ErmesT penso che questo quartiere rappresenti un laboratorio ideale per il mapping, in quanto solo le strade principali, dove poteva passare la Google Car, sono state mappate, e ci sono dei giardini interni bellissimi! Vedremo se con il tempo riuscirò a coprire tutta l'area!

Connect Moderator

Si @LucioV, esattamente quello che intendevo anche per i paesi delle zone tipo Umbria e Marche.

A proposito, sabato e domenica siamo a Visso, Castel Sant'Angelo sul Nera e Norcia a incontrare chi è rimasto li

Level 10

Level 10

Found another VT in the same area made by another LG, Luca Scassa!

https://goo.gl/maps/vQXRJHvZ22E2

It's closer, but covers another lotto

Schermata 2017-03-08 alle 12.51.51.png

Will try to find him and start working together!

Level 10

Level 8

wow ^_^

do you take a 360 shoot at few meter distance?

Google Street View Trusted Photographer
Level 10

I used timer shot, at that time i still didn't know how to connect to Samsung Gear 360 with my smartphone, that is not a Samsung Galaxy S7 🙂

Level 8

i have the s7 and thinking to attach the 360 to a backpack to have free hands.

but what i mean is if you counted the steps between the shots.

did you keep a costant distance or chosed the more interesting poi of the walking?

I tried in the past something like this but SV messed the connection all the times, and I stopped to make them even if I would love to

Google Street View Trusted Photographer