ChrisC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Duplicate Photos in my Maps Contributions

I apologize if this has been asked before.

I've shared many of my photos to Google Maps.  I'm not sure what methods I have used to upload the photos in the past, but when I go to the My Contributions section of Google Maps, a very large number of my photos are duplicated (that is, there are many duplicate copies of the same photo there).  I have tried in the past to manually delete them one-by-one, but I'm wondering (hoping) if there is some automated way to consolidate the dupes (and preferably consolidate the views, though I doubt that is possible).  There are hundreds of dupes.

As a suggestion, it would be very nice if Google maps would not allow me to upload the same photos multiple times (albeit accidentally).

Thanks for any tips you have for me.

Cadill in Boston

14 comments
Level 3

Re: Duplicate Photos in my Maps Contributions

Just to clarify, the problem I'm describing is duplicate _photos_, not duplicate places.  Thanks for your help.

Level 5

I get this problem too. Google should be able to automatically check for duplicates, I'd have thought - they're Google after all!

Level 3

It happened to me too. So what do we do? I tried erasing it but it looks like an empty gray box with no entry sign. It doesn't look nice.

Level 8

Hello,
personally I use the method described in the media google

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2622947?hl=en&ref_topic=3257381
it works well, I "hope it will be useful

Level 8

Great post! I believe that the Local Guides maps team is aware of this issue.

What's interesting to me about this issue is the variances in numbers some of my duplicate images receive. For example, I have an image duplication for a restaurant I visited. One of the images has 47x the amount of views as the other duplicate. Not sure if that means that the duplicatate with the low numbers was moved and is no longer visible?

@ChrisC wrote:

I've shared many of my photos to Google Maps.  I'm not sure what methods I have used to upload the photos in the past, but when I go to the My Contributions section of Google Maps, a very large number of my photos are duplicated (that is, there are many duplicate copies of the same photo there).  I have tried in the past to manually delete them one-by-one, but I'm wondering (hoping) if there is some automated way to consolidate the dupes (and preferably consolidate the views, though I doubt that is possible).  There are hundreds of dupes.

As a suggestion, it would be very nice if Google maps would not allow me to upload the same photos multiple times (albeit accidentally).

Cadill in Boston

Level 9

Yes it is true duplication can happen , I have put forward a suggession to google photos to have a local guide tag or location tag appeared on the photo once uplodaded to map ,

I got a response from google that they will take a look into the matter.

let us all work together to have a wondeful map.

Thank you.

@JrC wrote:

Great post! I believe that the Local Guides maps team is aware of this issue.

What's interesting to me about this issue is the variances in numbers some of my duplicate images receive. For example, I have an image duplication for a restaurant I visited. One of the images has 47x the amount of views as the other duplicate. Not sure if that means that the duplicatate with the low numbers was moved and is no longer visible?

@ChrisC wrote:

Cadill in Boston

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 7

I have been having a TON of trouble with this... For me,  I  think part of the problem is that there doesn't seem to be any single place that will show ALL of my uploaded photos for a specific place, together. So I keep thinking certain ones are missing... End up uploading again... And later find there are dupilcates(or more). It's really confusing. I think it would be helpful if,  on the "your contributions" page,  under the "photos" tab,  the pics were sorted by location (which they kind of are)  but only ONE SET per place,  no matter when or how they were uploaded... 

It also might be good to have a place to see your "pending" photos,  until they are added to the place page.  Just throwing out ideas😆

Level 9

Thank you every one for agreeing to my views

I have requested the Google Photo app by mail and i have got the reply that it has been forwarded to the concerned team ,

My request is just to have a GeoTag or Local guide Logo or watermark on side of the picture in google photos 

This will help us to identify any pending images to be uploaded to Maps

Varghese Jose

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 8

@AlanaKathleen great idea for the pending system! That would help me see quickly what I have and haven't uploaded.