DoriyaKiz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Cheomseongdae Observatory [Gyeongju's Sight and Sounds, Part 1]

WhatsApp Image 2018-07-26 at 15.41.52.jpeg

During my recent trip to Gyeongju, South Korea, I had the opportunity Cheomseongdae Observatory, an ancient observatory more than 1000 years old. It was an interesting experience, witnessing a relic from history that has seen so much more than me.

What it is: The Cheomseongdae Observatory is a structure built around 632-647 during the reign of Queen Seon-deok of the Silla Kingdom, Korea's earliest complex civilization. It was used to forecast weather by observing the stars. Today, it is one of the few remaining relics from the ancient Silla Kingdom, designated as one of South Korea's National Treasures. At 1300+ years old, it is also during this period when the Islamic civilization was rising to power and China was ruled by the Tang Dynasty.

WhatsApp Image 2018-07-26 at 15.41.52 (1).jpeg

Review: While the structure is historically significant and quite a sight to behold (after all, it is older than me by a millennium), I find the experience of visiting the place to be a little underwhelming. It might be due to my expectations prior to visiting the place as I read about it online, but I also guess I did not do my research enough. The observatory stands solitarily in the middle of an open-air park, with not many other things around it. While it makes for a good picture opportunity, I don't think this is a place worthy of visiting on its own as you will spend at most 30 minutes here. There is a board explaining the structure but that is about it. Would strongly recommend the observatory as part of a larger itinerary. 

Additional tips: Travelling around Gyeongju can be quite a challenge, but you can consider renting a bicycle to help to move around the attractions around this area better. 

You can view my review of the place here.

Will share more of my trip in subsequent posts!

Korea
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Cheomseongdae Observatory [Gyeongju's Sight and Sounds, Part 1]

Hi @DoriyaKiz

Thank you for this amazing and detailed post. It made me discover a part of History that I didn't know, and now I want to read and discover something more about it. 

For how long have you been to South Korea? Did you visit other cities apart from Gyeongju?

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@Sorbe 10 days! I visited Seoul and Busan too. Will keep sharing interesting tidbits in the next few days 🙂

Former Google Contributor

@DoriyaKiz

Thank you in advance. I am looking forward to see more of your pictures, as I have never visited this part of the World. 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!