DoriyaKiz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Bulguksa Temple and Seokguram Grotto [Gyeongju's Sight and Sounds, Part 3]

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-03 at 15.14.56.jpeg

Intro: While many sites would list Bulguksa Temple and Seokguram Grotto as different places to visit in Gyeongju, I would see them as a place to visit together due to their proximity and relationship to each other. Both sites possess a rich history to them, which is why they are both listed as UNESCO world heritage sites. They are highly recommended as places to visit in Gyeongju due to the historical value that they both carry.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-03 at 15.14.55.jpeg

Review: It was quite an interesting experience, walking on the same ground as people who have come hundreds of years before you. The architecture of Bulguksa temple reminds me of the architecture of the Buddhist temples in Cambodia's Siem Reap, in how there is a main building in the middle flanked by pagodas and with stone stairs leading up to the complex. The entire area of Bulguksa is big with different halls for different deities. The entire temple felt calming to visit, with plenty of opportunities to take artistic pictures as well. I was particularly amazed by the rock formations that they did in one section of the temple.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-03 at 15.14.55 (1).jpeg

Seoguram Grotto on the other hand, however, felt slightly more underwhelming as it was only a section of the original structure that we can see, locked behind a panel of glass which you cannot take pictures of. We expected to see more at Seokguram and the entire experience only took less than 30 minutes. This is why I highly recommend visiting both Bulguksa and Seokguram together. The view from Seokguram, however, was nice and breathtaking.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-03 at 15.14.56 (1).jpeg

Additional tips: There is a bus running hourly between Seokguram and Bulguksa (Bus 12), which makes traveling between the two places much easier. There is also a food area near Bulguksa for those who are hungry. You can take public buses to Bulguksa from either the downtown area or the Bomun tourist complex. Wear comfortable shoes as there are some hiking involved.

Read my reviews of the two places here and here.

What are some of the historical temples that you have visited? Share your experience too!

Korea
4 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Bulguksa Temple and Seokguram Grotto [Gyeongju's Sight and Sounds, Part 3]

Hi @DoriyaKiz,

Wow! Those places are amazing and your photos are really great! Thank you for sharing! Do you know what this rock formation means?

Also, I really like how the trees surround Seokguram Grotto temple. Makes it looks really magical!

In Bulgaria there is one very special place. It is not a temple, it is a monastery and it is located in Rila mountain which is the highest among the mountains on the Balkans. Rila monastery is listed as a UNESCO world heritage as well and it is very famous by its architectural beauty and its frescoes so typical for the orthodox Christianity.

Rila MonasteryRila MonasteryOrthodox frescoesOrthodox frescoes

I really enjoyed reading your post and I am looking forward for your future ones!

Cheers  

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Que hermoso lugar el que compartiste @DoriyaKiz, me encanta, están muy bien conservado considerando lo antiguo que son y los eventos históricos que pasaron 👍🙂

@JavieraAu, de que época son los murales, tiene unos colores muy vívidos 😀

Saludos Farid

🤚👇

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Level 8

Wow, thanks for sharing @JavieraAu. Europe is definitely high on my next to visit list, though I guess I must save for a few more years before I'm able to afford. The monastery indeed looks mystical.

Former Google Contributor

Hola @FaridTDF,

Empezaron a construir la iglesia que está en el centro del patio del monasterio en 1835 y la finalizaron el año 1837. Entonces invitaron unos de los grandes pintores búlgaros del siglo XIX para hacer los frescos.Ya que ha pasado mucho tiempo desde entonces, quizás haya sido necesario renovar los murales en los años pero no te puedo confirmar cuándo exactamente pasó esto.

@DoriyaKiz I am sure that your Europe trip is going to happen at the right moment. My only recommendation is to take enough time to visit as many places as possible.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!