ele's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8
Level 8

Bridges make for great photos. Post your here, with a short description of the bridge history.

This is your chance to cross the bridge of posting a photo. Have a good shot of a bridge? Post one. 

Let me start, with one of the most iconic bridges in the world - The Golden Gate. 

The Golden gate, surrounded by fogThe Golden gate, surrounded by fog

The Golden Gate Bridge was the longest suspension bridge span in the world when completed in 1937. 

The bridge was designed by Joseph Strauss, an ambitious engineer and poet who had, for his graduate thesis, designed a 89 km railroad bridge across the Bering Strait! Strauss responded to a proposal published more than two decades sooner (1916) in the San Francisco Bulletin article requesting designs for the bridge. The construction started in 1933, and the cost was 35 million dollars (about half a billion in today's money). 

The Golden gate is considered one of the most beautiful bridges in the world. 

Do you have a bridge picture you'd like to share? 

San Francisco, CA, USA
2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Bridges make for great photos. Post your here, with a short description of the bridge history.

I had a slightly different view of the Golden Gate @ele

Golden Gate From The TopGolden Gate From The Top

Level 8
Level 8

Re: Bridges make for great photos. Post your here, with a short description of the bridge history.

@PaulPavlinovich Gorgeous photo! I didn't even know they are offering climbing tours (I am assuming this is how was taken) on Golden Gate.