Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Being a Local Guide has inspired me to...

Earlier this year, Google posted a blog post on the seven types of different Local Guides. When I read it, I thought to myself, I'm not entirely sure which type of Local Guide I may fall into and I can imagine that many of us fall into multiple categories or be drawn to overlapping categories. I find I can be a mix, including the visualist, the sage, and trailblazer and it especially depends on what I'm doing or who I'm with. 

Ever since I've joined Local Guides at the end of 2015, I have had the opportunity to meet many wonderful friends from around the world and even meet up with them in various cities. Some that I would even consider close friends, like family. But of course, we all have our other circles, like colleagues, school friends, girlfriends, or some other crew that we will meet up with or hang out together. I have a group of friends who love to try out new "sports-like" activities and we kind of take turns suggesting various ideas to try out. So as a local guide, sometimes, I feel more inclined and inspired to find new and happening activities, be a "trailblazer" in this situation, around my city to try out with my friends and I've been surprised by some of the things we've managed to find... Here are some examples of me being a trailblazer with my non-LG friends...

Archery Tag: This sounds dangerous, doesn't it? I was certainly was quite afraid but I had heard a few coworkers talk about it. What you do is, you shoot arrows at each other, this was when I got really worried. Well, they're not real arrows, they are foam arrows. A group of my friends and I decided to give this a try and well, it was a lot of fun in the end. You play in two teams against each other and shoot the foam arrows at each other. Once you're hit, you're out, much like dodgeball. You can also bring your team mates back to life if you revive them by hitting a target. It was definitely a great work out for an evening.

Archery TagArchery Tag

Axe Throwing: Again, sounds dangerous doesn't it? For this occasion, a group of us girls had gone to what seems like an indoor warehouse for axe throwing. The target was much like a dartboard and there were staff onsite to teach and to assist. You throw an axe at a distance of eight to ten meters, depending on the length of the axe. The scoring is similar to darts, where there are areas of double score and other bonuses. Kind of a scary activity, but definitely stress relieving. This was actually an activity for a group of girls as well! Just a fierce activity for an afternoon! Video below.

One of the girls thought it'd be funny to take the video in slow motion...

So, tell me, as a Local Guide, how has it inspired you to find new activities in your own city? What activities have you found that you never imagined yourself doing?

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Vancouver, BC, Canada
12 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Being a Local Guide has inspired me to...

@Shirley, you do have many outdoor activities. For the first time I met you, I thought you are home lady, lol. I love to see your photos and video as well. One thing that I always want to do is flying 😀

Indonesia Local Guides
Connect Moderator

Realmente te felicito @Shirley, por lo experimentadora que eres, el tiro con arco 🏹 podría hacerlo, pero el tiro de achas 🎯, creo que paso jajaja, es un poco extremo, yo lamentablemente no tengo aficiones de deportes, como sea me encanta el post, creo que habrá muchos Local Guides, que si practican, deportes poco comunes.😀

Saludos Farid

🤚👇

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Level 8

Bls: Being a Local Guide has inspired me to...

Hi shirley, so lucky i am have met up with you in Surabaya. And we still in touch by instgaram or whatsapp. Yeah i totally agreed with you. Me and my local guifes friend here like to try new things. Even i try it with non local guides too. We doing likes social meet up, portrait photo, running, yoga class, watching movies, and much more !!!! 

Level 8

"Localguides inspired me to throwing axes."

This is pure gold, @Shirley, love it!

Level 10

@Shirley Woaaaa... amazing axe throwing... first thing that came to my mind was Xena the Princess Warrior... from Canada! 😁 😁 😁  

Level 9

Thanks @NunungAfuah!! Well, I enjoy trying new things. If you want to fly...do you remember my video for flying trapeze?? You must try one day!!

@FaridTDF Thanks for the kind words!! Haha, yes archery is a bit extreme, but fun to try with some friends! Local Guides has really gotten me to research and see what is available out there!

@badaib: Glad to met you in Surabaya as well!! Wow! Sounds like you guys try lots of different activities too! Remember to share your experience if it is something really fun or unusual!!

@CaptainHook lol noooo It is more like "Local Guides inspired me to try new things" ...axe throwing just happens to be one of them. I have to admit it was kind of fun though and quite a work out on the arms and back!! But thanks for checking it out!!

@StephenAbraham hahaha noo... not a warrior nor a princess just trying new things! You must have found something fun and unique as well in your exploring?

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 8

@Shirley

Sure seems Interesting and fun.

Most thrilling activity for me was bungee jumping to the Nile river which was actually abroad but a huge experience.

Who dares that too. 😉

Level 8

WOW! Throwing axes is like a fun activity! I should try it sometime!

Level 8

Hey I'll be in Montreal this summer, and hot tips? I know you're from Vancouver but.... 🙂

Jiggee Jon