AnitaAO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Abacha - African salad, best food you should not miss in Nigeria when you visit

Abacha (Igbo language), African Salad (English)Abacha (Igbo language), African Salad (English)

I am that good cook that doesn't like to cook! I know you maybe wondering how i became a fantastic cook with having no interest in cooking, that would be an epistle that I will share some day...

Abacha made me cook most times, Abacha is popular with the Igbos- those from the eastern parts of Nigeria. This sumptous meal can be prepared in so many different ways with different sizes of assorted meat, roasted cow skin(pormo), fish, okporoko(stock fish), ugba, garden egg, red oil, garden egg leaves and of course cassava. The ingredients you use, depends on what you can afford. Basic ingredients are: Abacha-the cassava itself, ugba - a native bean, garden egg, garden egg leaves and red oil. However rich your Abacha is, it's always a meal you want to eat again.

Share with us your native meal you enjoy most...

And tag three 3 Local guides you would like to learn of their native dish...

Let the fun begin!

@Sagir @Lauro @HelloSamsonR

A-Beta
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Abacha - African salad, best food you should not miss in Nigeria when you visit

This looks mouth watering. I never tasted Abacha.

I will love to try it one day .

Thanks for sharing with us @AnitaAO

Check out here some dishes from my place Gombe food

Check this out @ValeriaA_ as I know you like to explore other cultures. 

You too @Julien44

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 9

Re: Abacha - African salad, best food you should not miss in Nigeria when you visit

It is @Sagir, some native kitchens and restaurants in Lagos sell it too. It is also popular with most market dominated by the Igbos in Lagos. You can find it in Ladipo market, idumota, tradefair, etc...

A-Beta
Level 10

Hi @Sagir,

Thanks for tagging me on this post. I always like to discover and food is one of my favorite to explore.

Thanks for sharing @AnitaAO

Have a nice day and see you around

Jul

Level 9

Cheers @Julien44, I am glad you like it, expect more tags from me henceforth...

A-Beta
Level 10

Thanks for tagging me @Sagir

This meal looks very interesting @AnitaAO, I like that it's a mixture of many ingredients. I would like to try it one day! 🙂

@Sagir escribió:

This looks mouth watering. I never tasted Abacha.

I will love to try it one day .

Thanks for sharing with us @AnitaAO

Check out here some dishes from my place Gombe food

Check this out @ValeriaA_ as I know you like to explore other cultures. 

You too @Julien44

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 9

You are welcome @ValeriaA_, you are supposed to share with us your local food as well, am sure it will be interesting.

A-Beta
Level 10

You are right @AnitaAO, I'm sorry!

Here are some photos:

A drink made with yerba mate (herbs) and hot water. You drink it with a metal straw and some people put sugar on it but I prefer it sour. It's called mate:

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-20 at 09.19.28.jpeg

Dough filled with ground meat mixed with onion and boiled egg. Take a look at empanadas (my favorite!):

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-24 at 13.29.03.jpeg

Last but not least, I'll tell you about this food. We usually eat it for dinner and sometimes before dinner. Many different types of cheese, sausages, ham, snacks, olives... It's called picada:

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-24 at 13.29.03 (1).jpeg

Hope you liked them and visit Argentina soon so you give them a try!! 🙂

@AnitaAO escribió:

You are welcome @ValeriaA_, you are supposed to share with us your local food as well, am sure it will be interesting.

Level 9

Wow, absolutely inviting! @ValeriaA_

Your favourite, 'empanadas' caught my eye, am sure gonna make it my favourite too. It looks like what we eat here in Nigeria but we call it 'meat pie' and the ingredients are not too far from each other.

Thanks for sharing.

A-Beta
Level 10

I'm glad you liked it @AnitaAO! You should try them some time 🙂

@AnitaAO escribió:

Wow, absolutely inviting! @ValeriaA_

Your favourite, 'empanadas' caught my eye, am sure gonna make it my favourite too. It looks like what we eat here in Nigeria but we call it 'meat pie' and the ingredients are not too far from each other.

Thanks for sharing.