ele's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8
Level 8

A picture from early winter in Iceland, with the ubiquitous Icelandic horse

Iceland is a stunningly beautiful place if you enjoy strange and desolate landscapes. Because it is so close to the Arctic Circle, the amount of daylight varies dramatically by season. The sun sets briefly each night in June, but it doesn't get fully dark before it comes back up again. In the March and September equinoxes, days and nights are of about equal length, as elsewhere in the world. If you go in December, it's almost 20 hours of darkness.

Summer is definitely the best time to go. The midnight sun is a beautiful sight and one not to be missed. It is easy to lose track of time when the sun is still up at 23:00. Early or late winter, however, can be surprisingly good times to visit. 

Icelandic horseIcelandic horse

Iceland
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: A picture from early winter in Iceland, with the ubiquitous Icelandic horse

Hi @ele

Beautiful photo and interesting post. It was quite interesting flying over your country, in my last flight to San Francisco in October 9th. 

Do you want to share more with us? 

What about to suggest a visit? 

/Traveling-Like-a-Local/

Ermes 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Heard so much about this country, now it's on my bucket list. Captivating landscape. 

Level 1

Really great post. Is it taken by you?

Level 8
Level 8

Thanks @marksoleberg @Anonymous @ErmesT for the kind comments. 

Mark, the picture is taken by me, in aerly November. My wife and I were driving to Hofn, the South East tip of Iceland, and we encountered this beautiful string of horses as the sun started to set around 3:30.

The blonde horse decided to pose for me. 

The same night we saw the Northern Lights. A good magical day of travel, overall. 

DSC_7172.JPGdark-icelandic-horse.JPGhorses-string.JPGhorse-iceland-closeup.JPG