DanielTh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: 800 kms of Mountain bike riding in The Himalayas - Part 2

that's nice to know @SoniaK. Have a good time.

Level 10

@TraciC thank you for this encouraging action. 

Level 8

@DanielTh

What a great journey

Your Photos looking Awesome

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Level 9

Very nice Post with amazing photos, i like the place @DanielTh

added to wishlist @SoniaK

Level 7

And here it is! One of my dream destination! Thanks for sharing your experience along with beautiful photographs. 

Level 3

Beautiful photos @DanielTh

@DanielTh wrote:

Hello everyone, here is Part-2 of my experiences in Leh, Ladakh, India.

Can you imagine a natural lake which is 130 kms in length ?
That's the majestic endorheic lake called Pangong Tso (tso means lake in local language). Located at an altitude of 14,000 feet above sea level and situated approx 160 kms from Leh city, It takes 6 to 7 hours of driving at normal speed to reach Spangmik (the starting area of the lake). 45 kms of this lake is in India and the rest of it extends into China.
Pangong Tso, starting pointPangong Tso, starting point
All the way from Leh to Pangong, there are no fuel stations, so carry extra fuel in containers if needed. Carry medication for dizziness or vomiting. Altitude sickness can be very dangerous, and this aggravates during September when temperatures plunge below zero.

Road to Chang LaRoad to Chang La

The road to this lake passes through the 3rd highest pass in the world - Chang LaChang La, 3rd Highest pass in the worldChang La, 3rd Highest pass in the world

Area around Chang La is avalanche prone. So be mindful of the slopes. 

P_20160926_123346.jpg

Winter season starts from September-end till May 1st week - entire road gets covered with snow starting October-end. Be very careful while driving a motorbike on these roads.

During Summer, there is mad rush of bikers & thousands of 4-wheelers. This is in addition to Army vehicle movement. 

valley near Chang La, Sept'16 last weekvalley near Chang La, Sept'16 last week

Once you reach Spangmik, there are many tent-type & room-type resorts to stay. You have to pre-book them when you are in Leh city itself. There are some food joints as well to have noodles, tea, coffee & other snacks. Don't arrive at this place without pre-booking your accommodation for the over-night stay.

In September, night temperatures start dipping to -4 degs C. In core winter months (Nov-Feb), temperatures plunge to -20 degs C.  The entire lake freezes and you can be adventurous to drive a SUV on this lake. Imagine the depth of freezing which happens !!!
Nature in its purest formNature in its purest form

Some travellers avoid an over-night stay at the lake and end up driving to-n-fro in a single day. This can be taxing.  I prefer doing an over-night stay near the lake and enjoy the mesmerising morning walk along side the lake and then returning back to Leh city.

Early morning @ Pangong LakeEarly morning @ Pangong LakeEarly morning @ Pangong LakeEarly morning @ Pangong Lake

As I've mentioned before, Leh is a magical place. Lots of places to visit in this area. While touring in these places, let's keep our surroundings clean and let Nature breath !!!

Stay tuned for my next post on 3rd leg in Leh, Ladakh India.

Level 10

Mind blowing scenes. Thank you so much for sharing this @DanielTh. 🙂

Level 10

really amazing @DanielTh

all photos are too good.

well done.

Add, Edit, Explore More ! || Google Maps Contributions || Gujju Local Guides on G+
Level 9

Hi @DanielTh    Thank you for sharing your journey and what a great  photos. I like it.

Level 8

Do you really biking going there? That was crazy.... You have the strongest thigh..... Great pictures!!!!

| Indonesia Local Guides | SVTP | Work-Study-Holiday | Yogyakarta Local Guides | Nunukan Local Guides | Jakarta Local Guides |