DanielTh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

800 kms of Mountain bike riding in The Himalayas - Part 2

Hello everyone, here is Part-2 of my experiences in Leh, Ladakh, India.

Can you imagine a natural lake which is 130 kms in length ?
That's the majestic endorheic lake called Pangong Tso (tso means lake in local language). Located at an altitude of 14,000 feet above sea level and situated approx 160 kms from Leh city, It takes 6 to 7 hours of driving at normal speed to reach Spangmik (the starting area of the lake). 45 kms of this lake is in India and the rest of it extends into China.
Pangong Tso, starting pointPangong Tso, starting point
All the way from Leh to Pangong, there are no fuel stations, so carry extra fuel in containers if needed. Carry medication for dizziness or vomiting. Altitude sickness can be very dangerous, and this aggravates during September when temperatures plunge below zero.

Road to Chang LaRoad to Chang La

The road to this lake passes through the 3rd highest pass in the world - Chang LaChang La, 3rd Highest pass in the worldChang La, 3rd Highest pass in the world

Area around Chang La is avalanche prone. So be mindful of the slopes. 

P_20160926_123346.jpg

Winter season starts from September-end till May 1st week - entire road gets covered with snow starting October-end. Be very careful while driving a motorbike on these roads.

During Summer, there is mad rush of bikers & thousands of 4-wheelers. This is in addition to Army vehicle movement. 

valley near Chang La, Sept'16 last weekvalley near Chang La, Sept'16 last week

Once you reach Spangmik, there are many tent-type & room-type resorts to stay. You have to pre-book them when you are in Leh city itself. There are some food joints as well to have noodles, tea, coffee & other snacks. Don't arrive at this place without pre-booking your accommodation for the over-night stay.

In September, night temperatures start dipping to -4 degs C. In core winter months (Nov-Feb), temperatures plunge to -20 degs C.  The entire lake freezes and you can be adventurous to drive a SUV on this lake. Imagine the depth of freezing which happens !!!
Nature in its purest formNature in its purest form

Some travellers avoid an over-night stay at the lake and end up driving to-n-fro in a single day. This can be taxing.  I prefer doing an over-night stay near the lake and enjoy the mesmerising morning walk along side the lake and then returning back to Leh city.

Early morning @ Pangong LakeEarly morning @ Pangong LakeEarly morning @ Pangong LakeEarly morning @ Pangong Lake

As I've mentioned before, Leh is a magical place. Lots of places to visit in this area. While touring in these places, let's keep our surroundings clean and let Nature breath !!!

Stay tuned for my next post on 3rd leg in Leh, Ladakh India.

Leh City Centre, Leh
50 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: 800 kms of Mountain bike riding in The Himalayas - Part 2

Pangong lake is my favourite place on earth. Every time I see a photo of the place I miss my visit there back in 2012. I cried right after i got down from the car in there, after seeing such a beauty in front of me. I could not resist. I so wish I could go there once again and stayed at least a week there, camping. 

Thank you @DanielTh for bringing back my memories once again. 

Level 10

@DanielTh Beautiful photos and thanks for sharing your story.

Connect Moderator

Amazing pictures @DanielTh

Really it's great adventure tour.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

Wow, thanks for sharing the 2nd part, and thanks to LG team for featuring!!! Amazing place!

Googler

Hi @DanielTh. Thank you for sharing your journey in photos! We've featured your post on the Connect homepage today:

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 9.10.47 AM.png

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

@DanielTh wow !! what a story !! 

We are really pleased to find like you Local Guide!!! your story and specially your all photographs touch my mind !!! so admirable !!!!

We have another mountain biker Local Guides @YOUSUFMSEDDAT from Bangladesh.

Level 9

@DanielTh beautiful story. thanks for sharing those beautiful photos.

Level 10

Thanks for sharing with us

Level 7
Level 7

amazing. thanks for sharing with us. I wish I will be there.