DanielTh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

800 kms of Mountain bike riding in The Himalayas - Part 1

Hello everyone, 
With the biking season all set to begin in The Himalayas (Indian side of it), I wanted to share my experience of 'my 800 kms of motorbike riding in The Himalayas'.

Place: Leh, India

Bike: Royal Enfield 500 cc

Altitude: Leh (11,560 feet), Pangong lake (14,000 feet), Khardung La top (18,380 feet)

At an altitude of 11,560 feet above sea level, Leh is beautifully nestled among the upper regions of the mighty Himalayas. The fastest way to reach Leh is by flight (nearest airport being New Delhi) and the toughest way is by riding a bike from Manali (which takes 3 days). Winter in Leh city is from October to April with temperatures plunging to -10 deg Celsius. 

Leh Airport viewLeh Airport view

Best time to visit Leh is April, May and August-October. Summer (June, July) temperatures are touching 20 degs C these days, which can be very hot at that altitude.
Leh city, just after SunsetLeh city, just after Sunset

There are many places to visit in Leh city - Magnetic Hill, Shey palace, Shanti Stupa, German bakery, Tibetian market, Old Palace, Thiksey Monastery
From Leh, there are many famous places you can visit. This part of my post is about "Khardung La top en-route Nubra Valley"

Khardung La is of high strategic importance to Indian army. The top is 40 kms from Leh city, which takes 3 hours of driving at normal speed including stoppages at view points.

View point en-route Khardung LaView point en-route Khardung LaRoad to Khardung LaRoad to Khardung La

At an altitude of 18,380 feet, this is the Highest Motorable road in the world. I scaled this summit three times in 2 years. Don't stay here for more than 45 mins. Altitude sickness is a serious health concern. There are no facilities for any emergency care. Indian Army posts are the best help available. 

My bike: Royal Enfield 500 cc.
Pillion rider: My wife.

Temperature: Zero degrees Celsius

Date: 25th September 2016

Khardung La top - world's Highest motorable roadKhardung La top - world's Highest motorable road
After crossing Khardung La top, continue to travel for another 5 hours to reach the magical Nubra valley (the dessert in Himalayas). Do the double-hump camel ride and enjoy the beauty of Shyok river.

Shyok riverShyok river

Nubra valleyNubra valleyDouble-hump campleDouble-hump campleCamel ride in Nubra valleyCamel ride in Nubra valley

Once you reach Nubra valley, relax for the evening, enjoy dinner at a home stay and start your return journey the next morning.

On your way back to Leh, visit Diskit monastery.

Diskit monasteryDiskit monasteryinside Diskit monasteryinside Diskit monastery

Leh city to Nubra valley take 7-8 hours of leisure driving. There is only 1 road connecting these two places. Drive slowly, enjoy the scenery and live life !!!

Do let me know your views on this. I'll be happy to answer any queries regarding Leh India.
In my next post, I'll write about the magical Magnetic Hill and Pangong Lake.

Leh City Centre, Leh
6 comments
Level 10

Re: 800 kms of Mountain bike riding in The Himalayas - Part 1

@DanielTh Wow what an experience. nice photos and description. Waiting for the part one. When I saw the title of the post, I thought you used a traditional mountain bike. 🙂

Level 10

Nice pictures @DanielTh great post thanks for sharing. 

Level 10

Connect Moderator

Woww @DanielTh, I am following your amazing journey. Are there many people like yourself mountain biking during the season?

Cheers,

Karen

Level 10

mind blowing photos bro

thanks for sharing 🙂

Level 10

Great Job Keep It