JonesParapaso's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

60 Thousand Capacity Stadium

Overview of the Abuja StadiumOverview of the Abuja Stadium
60 Thousand sitting capacity60 Thousand sitting capacityThe Velodrome, Abuja StadiumThe Velodrome, Abuja StadiumSo the Abuja Stadium was built in 2003 and it is a multipurpose national sports stadium located in Abuja, in the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria. One of the iconic place you will see when entering the city, just few meters after the City Gate. It has a sitting capacity of over 60 thousand during a football match. It is also known for holding very large events, and it did hold the MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMAs) 2008 at the Velodrome. I actually attended that event live. A great place to check out when visiting especially when there is an event scheduled. 

Abuja, Nigeria
6 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: 60 Thousand Capacity Stadium

Hey @JonesParapaso,

That's an impressive stadium. Thanks for sharing. I'm curious about the MAMA's do you remember anything you can share with us from this event?

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

Hi @NadyaPN,

Thank you for your kind words...
Well yes I can remember couple of things that happened at the even although I cant boast of any picture I took as at that time in 2008 I didn't have access to a phone or camera where I could have taken pictures. But for sure I know it was anchored by Trevor Nelson. There was a tribute to a woman we call Mama Africa who had just passed away Mariam Makeba, 1932-2008. I also do remember the famous Kelly Rowland in a duet performance with Nigeria's top star D'Banj and a host of other local and foreign artist.

I looked further online and got some pictures for perusal: Links to more pictures

D'Banj & Kelly Rowland performed a duetD'Banj & Kelly Rowland performed a duet

Photo gotten from: https://www.bellanaija.com

I hope this helps...

Kind regards

Level 8

@JonesParapaso Nice photos, thanks for sharing

Former Google Contributor

@JonesParapaso,

It was definitely a great event! Thanks for sharing your experience. 🙂 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

Thank you much...

Level 8

@JonesParapaso wrote:

Overview of the Abuja StadiumOverview of the Abuja Stadium
60 Thousand sitting capacity60 Thousand sitting capacityThe Velodrome, Abuja StadiumThe Velodrome, Abuja StadiumSo the Abuja Stadium was built in 2003 and it is a multipurpose national sports stadium located in Abuja, in the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria. One of the iconic place you will see when entering the city, just few meters after the City Gate. It has a sitting capacity of over 60 thousand during a football match. It is also known for holding very large events, and it did hold the MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMAs) 2008 at the Velodrome. I actually attended that event live. A great place to check out when visiting especially when there is an event scheduled. 

Super my dear 

Thanks for sharing it with us.