YASMalik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

which camera is best for 360 pictures

Hi,

I am confused that which camera is better for 360 photos?

I have checked specifications of all but I like Gear 360 from Samsung & Nikon KeyMission 360.

yasmalik
Ajman - United Arab Emirates
31 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: which camera is best for 360 pictures

Actually, none of the above.

Maybe the best choice is still Ricoh Theta S.

I'll test a Nikon Keymission at 1st Italia Local Guides meetup, next week, and i will compare results with Gear360 (from loan kit) and my Theta.

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hi @YASMalik I've been using a Samsung Gear 360 which I bought and so far the things that I don't like are the lack of brightness and saturation of the photos, the mobile app that has way too many bugs and crashes a lot and the desktop software because you can only edit videos with it. I edit the brightness and the contrast with photoshop. Using it for Google Street View it's great, I would recommend it for the price. Also the app only works with Samsung S6 and newer versions of smartphones. 

Luis Hernández - Querétaro, México. Queretaro Local Guides
Level 10
Solution

Actually, none of the above.

Maybe the best choice is still Ricoh Theta S.

I'll test a Nikon Keymission at 1st Italia Local Guides meetup, next week, and i will compare results with Gear360 (from loan kit) and my Theta.

Connect Moderator

@YASMalik Adding to what others have said above, I think it depends on your budget as well. So far I've liked the results of Ricoh Theta S, but it's generally more expensive. Someone tried the Nikon and said it was a pain to use. I think if it's possible is to find someone that owns these cameras and try them yourself. Maybe join groups or meetups that's focused on taking 360 photography and get their opinions as well 🙂

Level 7

I second LucioV on this one.

You don't specify if you want a 360° clicker or "The best" camera to create a 360°.

Only what models you checked so far.

The one you mentioned are all action 360° cameras and not even good at that, which make them pretty useless for a normal tour photos,

they require to much from the photographer.

Ricoh still beat the competition by far.

If you speak about a phone for 360°, none, there it's all about the photographer.

What you can look at is;

Support ISO below 50.

Fixed focus, can beat any focus camera in shadow, dawn and dusk.

This is the time spheres turn out best with a phone.

If you go for the DSLR solution, I would say a Nikon D7200 with a Sigma 8mm lens.

Reason, 9 step bracketing, 24MP, crop 1.5, Sphere size ~75-80MP, good sensor even in the dark, fair price compared to competitors.

No point looking at a 3 step bracketing DX camera today, they don't make the cut anymore.

It's like bringing a bicycle to a Formula 1 race and still think you can win.

Level 8

Rif.: which camera is best for 360 pictures

If you don't want to spend a lot and want a simple camera and already own a samsung high level phone, the gear 360 is a good start.

The gear is quite fragile. I own it and always have to cover those big lens to avoid damages.

You can make good shots and video, but it suffer alot in low light.

I read the nikon has few bugs in stitching and software. but the hardware is good, solid and great for trips around the world.

If you want quality and want to work hard for each sphere, you can go for a dslr with fisheye. A lot more money and hours of work but the quality is totaly different.

It is the quality that a busines customer cuold want.

Google Street View Trusted Photographer
Level 7

Yes, you are right its pain.

I have bought Nikon KeyMission last month. picture quality is good. but the main problem is that connectivity with the application is very poor. but picture quality I like it. especially video quality. 

yasmalik
Level 7

Hard to say what is best. If you want get easy photos with one snap, one of those 360 cameras is best. But if you want to get good quality photos, buy DSLR + fisheye + editing program. 
I have now Ricoh Theta S from Google. It works ok for snapshots in good light, but when I return it, I won't buy one. I just ordered Samyang 12 mm f/2,8 for FF DSLR camera. I use mostly Nikon D800, D3s and Sony a7s. Objective fits for alla of them (sony with adapter), but I have just tried it with D800. For Editing I use Autopano Giga, Lightroom and Photoshop. I take 5 photos 90 degree steps around and one to sky.  At Autopano Giga I do 360 panorama. At Lightroom I edit image and in Photoshop I add ground to missing tripod area of the photo. 
Still testing, but here is two first photos in Google Maps. 

Photo 1 in Google Maps
Photo 2 in Google Maps

Markus Kiili
Level 7

@MarkusKiili I wasn't very happy with autopano, it gives a lot of extra noise in spheres, PTGui does a much better job, specially with the sky.

You got a lot of sky in your pictures. A lot.

Level 7

@PatricL I noticed same thing. Need some afterwork on Photoshop. 

Markus Kiili