MarisaF's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: When I delete photos from Google Photos or Google Drive, they are sometimes removed from Google

All my photos is upload from desktop, and I have same problem !

I tried on a couple of examples and as soon as I delete them from google photos, they disappear from google maps.

Solution
I do not delete images from googl photos anymore !!!

Level 10

Re: When I delete photos from Google Photos or Google Drive, they are sometimes removed from Google

@Alhemicar, and everyone else..  Try this below. This is my process and this issue does not affect me (not much, that is).

1) Turn off "Backup & Sync" on your Google Photos app on the phone, which means you will need to do manual backups to Google Photos

2) After each day / period of time of shooting photos, upload to Google Photos (from phone or PC or web) ONLY the photos and videos you want to keep in your Google Photos system for personal use and backup. All these that you have backed up are not related to anything you want to do with Google Maps.

3) Under your Google Photos settings (in app and web), set to Do Not "Show Google Drive photos & videos in your Photos library"

4) For Google Maps photos, you upload the photos again to each location from either phone or web. Do not use "photos from phone" or "your photos" or link to anything existing in Google Photos.  You upload the relevant photos again to each location. That means, there could be duplicates of (2) and (4). When you upload this way, the additional photos in this process will end up somewhere in Google Drive, but will not be shown in Google Photos because of (3)

5) Occasionally reduce drive storage by "Recover Storage" as per this 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Free-up-space-in-your-Google-Drive-for-phot...

** (1) doesn't really affect this process, so if you want to use auto backup into Google Photos from phone, you can, after you try everything above...

Try this, and let me know if it works for you .. it's how I get on with mine. And I don't have any mis-deletion of photos which is so confusing previously.. 

Level 3
Level 3

That was four months ago. Is that still the case? I discovered that pictures can now be archived.

I submitted my first photographs to a review/contribution/correction, and now reading I have to keep them in an account 'somewhere' is discouraging. Still a little confused with all the information and procedures involved in this and others' work arounds. 

Level 6

Yeah, Google has a lot of loose ends.

I have no reason to believe they have solved this issue. I still save the photos then upload them from my computer. That lets me delete them from my own computer/phone without taking them off Google Maps.

Level 3
Level 3

If I understand it right the best place for our Google Map photos need to be in an album on Google Photos not Drive. 

I came across this info How Google Photos work with Google Drive. And after reading it through twice, it still seemed overly complicated. So I just bookmarked it.

Google Photos must be the way to go, but I only just mastered Drive, so I still have lots of photos there (that I spent hours making sure I had the settings correct to not share them with the world.

Level 7

The problem still persist. All the solutions are workarounds that it can be a temporary solution. But I think that Google has to fix this. That it's a huge problem for me, because "coantaminate" my Google Photos.

Best

Kyke