MarisaF's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Re: When I delete photos from Google Photos or Google Drive, they are sometimes removed from Google

Same here, it always deletes the photos and the associated views.

Level 6

Re: When I delete photos from Google Photos or Google Drive, they are sometimes removed from Google

Of course, photos you contributed on Google map will be deleted if you delete them from your Google photos.

Level 6

There is nothing "Of course" about it. See the previous post:

This thread has figured it out, though the answers are buried in a lot of backtalk.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/photos/-gMUXqeiEao;context-place=starred

SUMMARY

Technical Explanation:

"geo.osm said:

...And the problem is the following.
Normally (using the browser) adding a photo to a Maps POI will create a subalbum in the album "Photos from posts". So this photo would protected if you delete the copy in Google Photos.
Using the Android Maps app (have no iOS) this doesnt happen. No subalbum in "Photos from posts" will created. Its just a album in the root.
Thats why in this case the photo is also removed from the Maps POI.
You can check this in your album archive.
For my understanding this is a bug.
If you do a post in the Maps forum let me know the URL to thread, so I can escalate it there to the CM's..."

WORKAROUND:

1) When taking photos to be added to Google Maps, take them from your camera app, not within Google Maps app.

2) Then upload the photos from your device, not from Google Photos.

3) Then, when you delete them from Google Photos, they will stay on Google Maps.

Basically, you are keeping everything as separate as possible.

This will be necessary as long as Google does not resolve their subalbum bug.

Level 7

Best solution is don't use Google drive or Google photos image to upload. Upload from desktop drive or phone's storage. And I also suggest you that don't delete something from Google photos folder on google drive. Now check photos below

drive.png

upload issue.png

Level 5

So I deleted a contribution photo because it was connected to wrong location and it deleted the photos from Google Photos as well so I no longer have the picture and I can't upload to the correct location.

Level 6

You check your Google Photos trash?

Level 6

I'm having the same problem. I want to delete some photos from my device without deleting them from Google Maps. I thought I was doing something wrong because sometimes they were deleted from GM sometimes not. I still don't have a solution.

Level 6

Read the whole thread. This is the most relevant post:

This thread has figured it out, though the answers are buried in a lot of backtalk.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/photos/-gMUXqeiEao;context-place=starred

SUMMARY

Technical Explanation:

"geo.osm said:

Normally (using the browser) adding a photo to a Maps POI will create a subalbum in the album "Photos from posts". So this photo would protected if you delete the copy in Google Photos.
Using the Android Maps app (have no iOS) this doesnt happen. No subalbum in "Photos from posts" will created. Its just a album in the root.
If you do a post in the Maps forum let me know the URL to thread, so I can escalate it there to the CM's..."

WORKAROUND:

1) When taking photos to be added to Google Maps, take them from your camera app, not within Google Maps app.

3) Then, when you delete them from Google Photos, they will stay on Google Maps.

Level 7

I've similar problem as stated above by others, I guess it happens with iOS devices and not Android.  Can you one confirm.

@PierceD wrote:

Read the whole thread. This is the most relevant post:

SUMMARY

Technical Explanation:

"geo.osm said:

WORKAROUND:

Narayanamurthy T
Level 6

Definitely happens with Android. That is what I have.