MarisaF's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

When I delete photos from Google Photos or Google Drive, they are sometimes removed from Google Maps

Is anyone else having this issue? It doesn't happen every single time, so it's particularly irksome! 

Full context from a previous thread which gained no traction:

I've confirmed on the Google Help Center that deleting photos from my Google Drive shouldn't be deleting the photos from Google Maps. I became aware of it when I got an email which congratulated me on my high view count, but the photos were missing. 

My work-around right now is to make a photo on my Google Drive Photos specifically for contributions, as I don't want to keep them for myself. 

It's inconsistent! 

Sometimes all the photos will be deleted which I remove from my Google Drive, and sometimesnone of my Contributions will be affected by the deletion from my Google Drive. 

I've tested this also by contributing photos and deleting half of them from my Drive. 50% of the time, the deleted photos will also be removed from my Contributions. The other 50% of the time, they'll be unaffected. 

25 comments
Level 7

Re: When I delete photos from Google Photos or Google Drive, they are sometimes removed from Google

@MarisaF even I had issue when I delete the photos in the Google drive which I uploaded in Google map,,

Sometimes the photos were missing ,sometimes it will be there in Google map 

I  thinks there is some inconsistent, which need to be sort out ,hopefully it will be sort out soon by the team 

There are also some time ago when the no.of views of photos  uploaded by us in google map were not counting ,they freezed for a while but later they fixed they issue ,

I think even this issue will be sorted out ...soon 

Level 8

Re: When I delete photos from Google Photos or Google Drive, they are sometimes removed from Google

@MarisaF @ArunA,

I think Google is aware of this situation and there must be Maps backend changes related to photos ongoing.  I take the previous photo view count dropped to 0 as an indication of this.  Even now, concerns about the view counter is still being reported.

I think we can help Google if we can provide specific details of the incidents of these problem.

1.  Link of the Place that Photo disappeared

2.  How the Photo is added to the place.  We have so many ways doing that, so need to indicate how that photo is uploaded.

3.  When we upload, did we choose from Google Photos, from local files, etc.

4.  Are the sharing a "Upload" or a "Linking".  If it is linking, remove file from Drive/Photos will make the photo disappear.

As we have LGC now, and we have active Maps Experts around, please condier to post this to the "Mapping Your World" board.

Level 5

I thought this is an expected behavior, as when I upload a photo to a location in Maps that appears in Google+ in your Profile under the Photos tab. If I delete that photo (which is essentially shared publicly) it is removed from Maps as well.

You can also see the public photos in https://get.google.com/albumarchive/  under the Photos from posts album. My understanding was that deleting these would delete them from Maps as well.

Level 8

Hi @AndrasT,

Thank you for sharing that deleting photos from that albumarchive will affect photos uploaded to Maps.

I am not sure if that photo storage location is part of Google Photos or Google Drive or not.

As it is half Maps photos remain and half Maps photos removed, it seems more complicated now.

Level 7

I'm having the same odd behavior, but I'm my case happens ALWAYS that I delete a photo, not sometimes.

Kyke

Level 6

I can confirm that this is still a (very annoying) problem.

What gives, Google?

Level 4

Yes. I am facing the same problem. If I have uploaded photos on Google photo and then add to Maps, post which try to delete from Photos, it pops a message informing me that it will deleted at all Google places 

@MarisaF wrote:

Is anyone else having this issue? It doesn't happen every single time, so it's particularly irksome! 

Full context from a previous thread which gained no traction:

I've confirmed on the Google Help Center that deleting photos from my Google Drive shouldn't be deleting the photos from Google Maps. I became aware of it when I got an email which congratulated me on my high view count, but the photos were missing. 

My work-around right now is to make a photo on my Google Drive Photos specifically for contributions, as I don't want to keep them for myself. 

It's inconsistent! 

Sometimes all the photos will be deleted which I remove from my Google Drive, and sometimesnone of my Contributions will be affected by the deletion from my Google Drive. 

I've tested this also by contributing photos and deleting half of them from my Drive. 50% of the time, the deleted photos will also be removed from my Contributions. The other 50% of the time, they'll be unaffected. 

Level 6

This thread has figured it out, though the answers are buried in a lot of backtalk.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/photos/-gMUXqeiEao;context-place=starred

SUMMARY

Technical Explanation:

"geo.osm said:

...And the problem is the following.
Normally (using the browser) adding a photo to a Maps POI will create a subalbum in the album "Photos from posts". So this photo would protected if you delete the copy in Google Photos.
Using the Android Maps app (have no iOS) this doesnt happen. No subalbum in "Photos from posts" will created. Its just a album in the root.
Thats why in this case the photo is also removed from the Maps POI.
You can check this in your album archive.
For my understanding this is a bug.
If you do a post in the Maps forum let me know the URL to thread, so I can escalate it there to the CM's..."

WORKAROUND:

1) When taking photos to be added to Google Maps, take them from your camera app, not within Google Maps app.

2) Then upload the photos from your device, not from Google Photos.

3) Then, when you delete them from Google Photos, they will stay on Google Maps.

Basically, you are keeping everything as separate as possible.

This will be necessary as long as Google does not resolve their subalbum bug.

Level 4

I deleted a bunch of photos last week and got bumped from a level 4 down to a level 2!. I also lost over 200,000 views of my photos, ugh! I was able to retrieve them from the trash folder but still haven't recovered.

Be VERY careful when deleting photos.