VarmintLP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

What 360 camera for street view and where can I get one

Hello everyone,

I know that this might be a topic which is covered already but I prefer to have a more recent answer in case there is new gear to get which produces a higher quality.

So as the subject already says what 360 camera are there to make streetview pictures and where can I get them. Sure I could just take any but I think it should also be said that I'm using an iPhone X and that I would like to take a picture quick and easy without putting to much work in it.

Here in Luxembourg are some few streetview pictures of which I think need a much better view to improve the overall quality of some places which are missing a clean shot for people to see. So what I need is a 360 which makes a 360 Spherical picture so you can turn arround and everything. Would be great to have a good quality during day and night (only if possible if not never mind). It should create the pictures by itself so there would be no need to stitch them together. It's must be possible to fix the camera on some kind of stance or pole to put it in a backpack or to hold it in hand the hand with that stance like a selfiestick. Should be usable on iOS and if possible I would like to check the impage in my phone first so I don't need to take 20 pictures in the hope that at least one of them looks good. Would also be great to create something like a movable view so you can move between the shots just like in google streetview. It should be an easy to use camera of course so even an idiot could work with it haha.

I hope there is at least some kind of camera which makes this possible or if it's a combination of a camera and a program to make it work properly that would also be fine.

-Nico

10 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: What 360 camera for street view and where can I get one

@VarmintLP 

RICOH THETA S & SC are the best 360 camera for Street view or if you're budget is tight you can try Samsung gear 360 (2017 edition)

Here is a official link for Street view cameras👇👇👇 

https://www.google.com/streetview/publish/

View solution in original post

Level 8
Solution

@VarmintLP 

RICOH THETA S & SC are the best 360 camera for Street view or if you're budget is tight you can try Samsung gear 360 (2017 edition)

Here is a official link for Street view cameras👇👇👇 

https://www.google.com/streetview/publish/

Level 5

Wow @ayann. Thanks for your suggestion. I think I will get myself a Ricoh Theta S / SC which one ever is better and start to update google streetview as soon as I got the money top buy it. I'm not a fan of samsung although I love their SSDs which are just the best so far. This will of course help others more then me but I think a lot of places need a proper 360 View from inside or even a whole update on some of the streets. Got a street which got a backery and an asian restaurant now but still shows some old ass companies and restaurants there :C

Well will start as soon as I got ready. 😄

Thanks ayann

Level 10

Bonjour @VarmintLP,

Je suis d'accord avec @ayann. Je possède  la RICHO THETA V. Effectivement  c'est un très bon compromis. 

Mais attention  toute  fois. Les applications  dédiées ainsi que l'application Street  View ont beaucoup  de dysfonctionnement. 

Je matériel  en lui même  aussi. Problème  wifi. ..

J'ai ouvert un ticket  auprès du fabricant. Et l'équipe Google test  également  le produit avec les commentaires des photographies et des guides locaux. 

Si vous  êtes  patients n'hésitez  pas.

La fonction  vidéo pour faire  une Street View est spectaculaire de simplicité.

Bonne  visite 

Vincent 

Level 8

@VarmintLP all the best unlock the  street view trasted photographer badge and  Ricoh are the best so far specially for street view photography Google themself give that camera on the loan priod 

go ahead i wish for a great journey on Google maps 

Level 8

360 cameras are starting from 5000 if you are looking for better or ultra quality, then you must buy cameras above 10000 or if you are expecting just a good picture the you can use cameras of 5000

Level 5

@Vvincent ah d'accord. Merci pour les informations. Je vais voir de quand je vais commander une camera 360 pour tester un peu et si il ne marche pas bien je veux retourner la camera. 😛

@antosmaman What kind of cameras are those then? What brand and model? I might get one for 5000 but only if it's really good. I would of course need to make an insurance for it so in case it get's stolen I will be able to replace it quickly. But yeah where can I find those? Would interest me very much to be honest 😄

Level 8

@VarmintLP  Their are so many cheap 360 Cameras like  Eken, Xanes, Elephone, SJ Cam etc. 

Level 10

@VarmintLP The best recommendation will be the Ricoh Theta V... not the older models Theta S/SC/M15... There are so many brands and models out there and each of them have their own advantages and disadvantages. 

The Ricoh Theta V will give you the least "issues" with Street View and has some features with StreetView that other cams don't have at the moment. You can buy it online from most online stores.

Link here : https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Video-mode-a-new-way-to-contribute-to-Stree...

Ultimately it depends on what  your exact needs are. You can check online for many reviews of best 360 cameras. For me, my go to camera is the Xiaomi MiSphere for my usage needs.

Level 5

@StephenAbraham true that. I think I will start with something small to get a feeling for it and to see how easy it is to publish some new spots for google streetview. This way I have a go and I don't waste too much money on something I don't use anymore in the future. So I will start with that ricoh V model there just to see how it goes. But only as soon as I get enough money on the side to afford one 😄

Thanks again everyone. I think this thread can be closed now XD