PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Re: Want to improve photography for Maps? The “36” Walk.

Me parece genial

@PaulP wrote:

Hi,

I'm the supported moderator for Melbourne Local Guides and a passionate photographer who loves to mentor and teach. One thing we all have in common is that we never stop learning.

The Problem

When looking at images on maps I often see some absolutely amazing images, but I also see a lot of mediocre and even poor images which reflect poorly on the location.

How do we improve?

To try and improve this situation I've borrowed a photowalk that I run annually in my Photograph Melbourne community called The "36" Walk. This year with the encouragement of the Google Local Guides Team I've transformed this into a global event with confirmed participation in Melbourne, San Francisco, Brisbane and New York and likely participation in Sydney, Perth and several other cities around the world but we need more to make this truly have an impact on maps.

The concept of The "36" Walk is to eliminate the snap happy from our photos or clicks as many call them and introduce a sense of worth and deliberation by limiting how many images you can make during the photowalk. Why 36? It comes from the most popular film size of 35mm which generally came with 36 shots per canister of film. Since limiting myself my quality ceiling has gone up with more images that I'm happy with each time I go out.

Seeking Leaders

What I'm looking for right now is more people to host walks around the world in your local location on or about April 23rd. Anyone who can attract a group of people and is willing to organise and run an event and report back about it here on Local Guides Connect and in your own communities is welcome to apply.

You can find out more more information about The "36" Walk in general and can register as a walk leader via this form.

Each walk will be able to nominate several images from their walk to be featured on The "36" Page 2017 collection.

Local Guides need you to make this global walk successful because we need more cities to be involved. It does not matter how small or large your group is, if you can get some people together then join in.

Walkers

When the time comes, each of the walks will be shared on Local Guides Connect as an event that you can sign up for. Additionally the walk leaders are likely to share the event on other platforms to gather a greater momentum and to introduce new people to the Local Guides phenomenon.

This is a 36 walk that I've run previously in Melbourne, Australia.

pwalk36-2014-09-20_15.jpg 

Regards

Paul Pavlinovich

Level 3

what a great idea.  I will try in my area.

Level 5

Great!  @PaulPavlinovich Los Angeles will gladly join!

Level 5

great thinking ! and definitely, we need to improvise the photo quality

Level 8

This is a nice idea, We are in a plan to implement such a photo walk here.

Level 1

@PaulP wrote:

Hi,

I'm the supported moderator for Melbourne Local Guides and a passionate photographer who loves to mentor and teach. One thing we all have in common is that we never stop learning.

The Problem

When looking at images on maps I often see some absolutely amazing images, but I also see a lot of mediocre and even poor images which reflect poorly on the location.

How do we improve?

To try and improve this situation I've borrowed a photowalk that I run annually in my Photograph Melbourne community called The "36" Walk. This year with the encouragement of the Google Local Guides Team I've transformed this into a global event with confirmed participation in Melbourne, San Francisco, Brisbane and New York and likely participation in Sydney, Perth and several other cities around the world but we need more to make this truly have an impact on maps.

The concept of The "36" Walk is to eliminate the snap happy from our photos or clicks as many call them and introduce a sense of worth and deliberation by limiting how many images you can make during the photowalk. Why 36? It comes from the most popular film size of 35mm which generally came with 36 shots per canister of film. Since limiting myself my quality ceiling has gone up with more images that I'm happy with each time I go out.

Seeking Leaders

What I'm looking for right now is more people to host walks around the world in your local location on or about April 23rd. Anyone who can attract a group of people and is willing to organise and run an event and report back about it here on Local Guides Connect and in your own communities is welcome to apply.

You can find out more more information about The "36" Walk in general and can register as a walk leader via this form.

Each walk will be able to nominate several images from their walk to be featured on The "36" Page 2017 collection.

Local Guides need you to make this global walk successful because we need more cities to be involved. It does not matter how small or large your group is, if you can get some people together then join in.

Walkers

When the time comes, each of the walks will be shared on Local Guides Connect as an event that you can sign up for. Additionally the walk leaders are likely to share the event on other platforms to gather a greater momentum and to introduce new people to the Local Guides phenomenon.

Regards

Paul Pavlinovich

Отличное идея. Я тоже люблю сфотогрировать красивые природы. 

@PaulP wrote:

Hi,

The Problem

How do we improve?

Seeking Leaders

Walkers

Regards

Paul Pavlinovich

Level 7

@PaulPavlinovich, that is such a beautiful insight, I am just getting to improve on my digital output and I will definitely look into hosting the event from here at Lagos Nigeria. Cheers

Level 7

Would love to try this at my local community but no luck getting enough members to join, how do you recommend I grow the community's following?

Connect Moderator

Thanks @VinayPasala I'd love to have you lead a walk if you would like to.

Connect Moderator

That's so awesome @Corrie sorry I have not responded until today, I've been flat out with Scouts and work and only had a few hours to myself. The featuring has been great, the increased visibility has pushed up the number of leader applicants. You've given me a very big grin that this initiative is really going places now. You and the other LG Team Members are just awesome!! It's getting to the point I need assistants to help organise!! Thanks again.