PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Want to improve photography for Maps? The “36” Walk.

Hi,

I'm the supported moderator for Melbourne Local Guides and a passionate photographer who loves to mentor and teach. One thing we all have in common is that we never stop learning.

The Problem

When looking at images on maps I often see some absolutely amazing images, but I also see a lot of mediocre and even poor images which reflect poorly on the location.

How do we improve?

To try and improve this situation I've borrowed a photowalk that I run annually in my Photograph Melbourne community called The "36" Walk. This year with the encouragement of the Google Local Guides Team I've transformed this into a global event with confirmed participation in Melbourne, San Francisco, Brisbane and New York and likely participation in Sydney, Perth and several other cities around the world but we need more to make this truly have an impact on maps.

The concept of The "36" Walk is to eliminate the snap happy from our photos or clicks as many call them and introduce a sense of worth and deliberation by limiting how many images you can make during the photowalk. Why 36? It comes from the most popular film size of 35mm which generally came with 36 shots per canister of film. Since limiting myself my quality ceiling has gone up with more images that I'm happy with each time I go out.

Seeking Leaders

What I'm looking for right now is more people to host walks around the world in your local location on or about April 23rd. Anyone who can attract a group of people and is willing to organise and run an event and report back about it here on Local Guides Connect and in your own communities is welcome to apply.

You can find out more more information about The "36" Walk in general and can register as a walk leader via this form.

Each walk will be able to nominate several images from their walk to be featured on The "36" Page 2017 collection.

Local Guides need you to make this global walk successful because we need more cities to be involved. It does not matter how small or large your group is, if you can get some people together then join in.

Walkers

When the time comes, each of the walks will be shared on Local Guides Connect as an event that you can sign up for. Additionally the walk leaders are likely to share the event on other platforms to gather a greater momentum and to introduce new people to the Local Guides phenomenon.

This is a 36 walk that I've run previously in Melbourne, Australia.

pwalk36-2014-09-20_15.jpg 

Regards

Paul Pavlinovich

130 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Want to improve photography for Maps? The “36” Walk.

Most of the these walks are on this weekend on 23rd April there are 27 cities to choose from on this MyMap if there isn't a city near you doing walk why not go out and do your own perhaps with a friend or two.

Share your images here, on Maps and on your favourite socials - use the tags localguides 36photo and 36photo2017

View solution in original post

Former Google Contributor

This is a great initiative @PaulPavlinovich. I've heard about it in other cities and, to be honest, I'd have a hard time having to stick to just 36 🙂

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Former Google Contributor

Love this idea @PaulPavlinovich! I get very snap-happy when I take pictures so I think this type of meet-up would be good for me.

Those who host meet-ups for The "36" Walk should make sure to submit their event on our new meet-up site as well. Maybe you can add that as a note in your form 🙂

Connect Moderator

Hi @HelloJess Yes, it's an exciting opportunity - I have to constantly remind myself to not be snap happy too.

I will be adding each event myself to maintain consistency and communication with the leaders and walkers alike. 

Regards

Paul

Connect Moderator

It is difficult @LuisRG but certainly worth having a go. I'm really looking forward to the walk. So far we've got Melbourne, San Francisco, New York and we look like having a bunch of others too.

Regards

Paul

Level 8

That is a really great idea, @PaulPavlinovich!

Do you have Taiwan LGs talking with you on this "36" walk?

One small question.  How to maintain fairness so Walkers really just take 36 shots?

Connect Moderator

Hi @YK1001 I don't have anyone from your region as yet mate. I would love to have you take part.

I've run this event several times locally and most of the time people struggle to get to 36 because they start to overthink it. There is always someone who just snaps away and takes a few hundred and to be honest if that makes them happy and forcing them to stick to 36 would make them unhappy, I'd rather that they were happy and came on again on a future walk.

Regards

Paul

Connect Moderator

@PaulPavlinovich Hi 

I like your Idea..  But i m not clear about This...  What type of camera need for 36 photography because I m not a Photographer.... 

What elements need for host this kind of events... 

I want host an event in my city at 21 / 28 April  is it possible..... 

Level 8

Thank you very much for your reply, @PaulPavlinovich!

That's ture.  Through the events, we want to engage with people.  The experience is more important.

I will bring the message back to our Taiwan LG community.  And see if there are enough interest.

I am looking forward to have Taiwan LGs taking part in this great program!

Connect Moderator

Hola @PaulPavlinovich, ya lo compartí con la Comunidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina y veré de compartirlo con la Comunidad de Tierra del Fuego, en esta deseo agregarme, espero que tenga entusiastas que deseen participar, la propuesta es muy divertida y motivadora.👍😀

Saludos Farid