lu5er's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Use of Local Guide Logo and watermarks

Can I use a watermark in an image and upload it to Google Maps? I'm curious because all of my previous images without a watermark can be viewed when I click on the Images tab of the particular location. But now I uploaded one with a watermark and it is not showing up. 

So, is there a relation between watermark and public visibility of a Google Maps image?

13 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Use of copyright watermark

@Pratyay wrote:

Thank you @JeroenM for your wonderful answer. So, since I used a Google copyrighted logo (unknowingly and I now realize I must have not),  should I delete it right now or wait for some more replies, what do you suggest?

@lu5er You are not allowed to use Google's own logo unless you have written permission from them. So I would suggest you remove it and re upload or you might get banned for violation of copyright.

https://maps.google.com/localguides/rules

"The Local Guides logo is a Google brand identity and is reserved for official use only. Do not use the Local Guides logo, pin, or any other Google imagery in any of your online or offline materials without expressed written permission."

View solution in original post

Level 8

@lu5er

Here is a similar post from a fellow local guide that is actually quoting the rules on watermarks and asking for clarification.  Reading that post, I understand that relevant watermarks of less than 10% are permitted.

How big were your watermarks?

Level 7

@Rubens_ and @JeroenM,

Thank you very much for your time and reply.

But can you just solve this?

This is the link to my uploaded image: Sovabazar Launch Ghat on sunset.

And why cannot I see it all uploaded images of Sovabazar Launch Ghat

This is depressing me a lot. 😐

Level 8

@lu5er 

Photography is not my expertise, so perhaps I should leave it to experts like @LucioV. However, if you search the forums, there are lots of threads in relation to watermarks.

The link you shared to us @lu5er, with the photo that is kept private, contains the Local Guides logo which is copyrighted material that is not permitted to be used by us. Google's bots are very sophisticated in recognizing copyrighted materials. Your watermark looks cool and professional but is breaking the rules as I understand them.

Level 9

Dear @lu5er

i think you can follow How to Upload Great Photos to Google Maps by @AnnaDickson

Cheers 

Level 7

Thank you @JeroenM for your wonderful answer. So, since I used a Google copyrighted logo (unknowingly and I now realize I must have not),  should I delete it right now or wait for some more replies, what do you suggest?

Level 8

Rather than taking the risk by getting in serious trouble, my advice is to remove the photo and replace it with a more innocent watermark.

You can still wait for other feedback on this post, without the "illegal" photo 😉

Level 7

@HusanAzim, wow! thanks for sharing the link, it's really informative. And I see that she pointed out "avoid large watermarks on images", which I did not and I guess, I go well.

Obviously except what @JeroenM pointed out about using the Google Local Guide Logo which I used in my image. Can you review it once and let me know? 

Thanks for your help. 🙂

Level 10
Solution

@Pratyay wrote:

@lu5er You are not allowed to use Google's own logo unless you have written permission from them. So I would suggest you remove it and re upload or you might get banned for violation of copyright.

https://maps.google.com/localguides/rules

"The Local Guides logo is a Google brand identity and is reserved for official use only. Do not use the Local Guides logo, pin, or any other Google imagery in any of your online or offline materials without expressed written permission."

Level 8

@HusanAzim

Thanks for sharing this great post.