AnnaDickson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Three Quick Tips for Taking Better Photos

Do you love shooting photos but want to improve your photography?  Try some of these quick and easy ways to step up your photography game.  

Tip 1:  Turn on Your Grid

My number one tip for any photographer is to turn the grid on. Most cameras & phones come equipped with the option to turn on a grid. The grid helps you to keep your photos straight, saving you time when editing. It also allows you to play with your composition and helps when learning about the Rule of Thirds.  

Here’s how to turn it on in your Android:

Without Grid linesWithout Grid lines              In Camera Settings, select Grid linesIn Camera Settings, select Grid lines                Choose 3x3 or SquareChoose 3x3 or Square                 3x3 Grid lines3x3 Grid lines

Here’s how to turn it on in your iPhone:

No Grid linesNo Grid lines                      In Settings select Camera and then turn on the GridIn Settings select Camera and then turn on the Grid                        With Grid linesWith Grid lines 

Tip 2: Avoid the Flash on Your Phone

I know it’s hard to do sometimes, but avoid using the flash as much as possible. Flashes on phones generally don’t look great. The flash is too direct and can blow out the photo. This means that it may be super bright in some areas and generally causes the contrast to be off balance. So, what do you do? Grab a friend and their phone — by using their flashlight you can create a constant light source, move it around and up and down until you find that perfect balance to create the perfect lighting for your photo.

Grab a friend's phone's flashlight for an artificial light sourceGrab a friend's phone's flashlight for an artificial light source                       The results are usually better than with an on camera flashThe results are usually better than with an on camera flash

Tip 3: Shoot a Lot!  

Good news! With digital, you don’t have to worry about using up film. That means you can shoot a LOT. Take your time and find the right angle. If you’re in a building with multiple levels and an open floor plan, try going up to other floors to get a better sense of the space. Take a look at your surroundings and try to gauge what the best angles might be. If you aren’t sure, try several angles. There’s no harm in shooting a lot of photos.

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 12.02.06 PM.png                     Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 12.02.00 PM.png                     Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 12.01.52 PM.png                     Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 12.01.48 PM.png                     Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 12.01.43 PM.png

14 comments
Level 9

Re: Three Quick Tips for Taking Better Photos

Good suggestions @AnnaDickson.

flagnepal acetreks.gif  - Nepal | YouTube
Level 4

I like photographing my surroundings ,Your tips will surely help me.

@MadanK wrote:

Good suggestions @AnnaDickson.

Level 2

Awesome advice! 

Also try capturing with symmetry in mind 🙂 People tend to love symmetry in photography!

Level 10

Hello Ann,

This is most enlightening and incisive. Thanks immensely. 

Level 4

謝謝妳

三分法的資訊應該對我有幫助

Level 7

Cool tip. I also need help on how to change the wrong name of my community in Google Map 

Adamzy Lee
Level 8

Doing things clueless and right is not always the best of anyone engaging in a professional touch. I earlier had my grid turned on and left my flash on auto. My iPhone often times, help to fine-tune focus before shooting and that makes some of my shoots look great too without any idea.

AnnaD you have got me in to the right track, I can now tell why and when, hope to utilize all that functions whenever :). Good job

Level 1

Sfaturile sunt bune, dar se pot descoperi si din instinct. Deci nu greseam cand fotografiam acelasi obiect din mai multe unghiuri si de la diverse distante !

Level 9

Thanks Anna, very important tips.

I would also like to include some other tips:

1. Try using "Burst Mode" (originally in iPhone, but I believe must exists on an Android app): it allows taking a lot of photos in the same time with a single continuous click.

2. Learn basic photo editing tools: I have seen a lot of uploaded photos on Google Maps which could easily be better in seconds, simply by raising "Shadows" (increasing light in the dark spots in a photo) & "Highlights" (increasing light in the bright spots in a photo), or simple rotation. Such edits could be done in seconds if you just practice.

I only post photos after making sure that there is no other edit I can do that will make the photo more special.