Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: The lighting tip that makes food look delicious

Nice tips for food photographer @AnnaDickson

Hope it will help us more at dinning.

Level 10

Nice tips. As I'm a foodie, it will be most useful to me.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Level 10

Very true.... Photography is simply an art of drawing with light and sunlight remains the best for capturing natural colours.

Thank you for these very useful tips @AnnaDickson

Level 9

@AnnaDickson wrote:

We hope you’ve been enjoying Eat Like a Local month so far! This week, we’d like to introduce you to one of our favorite food bloggers, New Delhi-based Shivesh Bhatia of Bake with Shivesh. Shivesh is a 21-year-old political science graduate, but he plans to study pastry in Paris and make baking his career. His towering cakes and colorful tarts have earned him an Instagram following of more than 86,000.

On July 15, Shivesh will meet up with Local Guides for a special workshop at Dum Pukht in New Delhi, where he’ll share some of his best tips for lunchtime food photography. To watch live, be sure to like us on Facebook, then look for a notification around 2:30 P.M. IST.

See four of Shivesh’s best tips below, and keep sharing your own great food photos on social media with #LocalGuides.

Avoid flash. Always shoot in natural light. Artificial light sources, especially built-in flash, completely spoil the colors of food. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)Avoid flash. Always shoot in natural light. Artificial light sources, especially built-in flash, completely spoil the colors of food. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)

Focus on the food. While composing your frame, make sure the food is the star of the picture. Feel free to use props (without cluttering the frame), but the food must stand out. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)Focus on the food. While composing your frame, make sure the food is the star of the picture. Feel free to use props (without cluttering the frame), but the food must stand out. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)

Keep your camera steady. Even the slightest shake will give you a blurry picture. Try again if that happens. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)Keep your camera steady. Even the slightest shake will give you a blurry picture. Try again if that happens. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)

Learn about food. It is extremely important to understand the food you’re shooting. You can’t select the right angle, composition, or styling until you understand your subject. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)Learn about food. It is extremely important to understand the food you’re shooting. You can’t select the right angle, composition, or styling until you understand your subject. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)

Great tips, in Perú We have a tasty food and too man variety of fruits 

Lord Alukard
Anonymous
Not applicable

Level 9

Excellent video and awesome tips which I will apply while taking food photos. Thanks @AnnaDickson.

Level 8
Level 8

My own tips:

1. Multiple lights: There must be one diffused light that makes the whole area bright. And then there must be a directional light. Ideally, you want to have the sun as the directional light and then some interior lights as the diffused light. If you have bright (white) walls around, then you don't need anything other than the sun. Food looks good with shadows to bring out the textures, that's why you need multiple sources of lighting.
  2. Increase saturation and contrast. Sometimes you can do it before taking the photo on the camera settings, and other times you can do it in post-production. Increasing saturation will bring out the colors.
  3. Try macro photography when starting out: you can bring the camera right up to the food as close as possible, make sure the focus is set and sharp, and then take the pic. This is an easy way to look pro and fool the laypeople.
  4. Try top-down shots: stand on a chair and then take the pic directly from above the food. This is another amateur trick to appear pro.
  5. Use a tripod, always. Food is usually high detail and requires very bright light or a very steady hand, and nobody has steady hands! Using a tripod will also allow you to use very low ISO and low shutter speed (and forcing a very large aperture size). Low ISO will make your photo appear very sharp and large aperture will allow for some very nice blurry-background effects.

Here are some pics I took:

Asam Fish Soup (Alhambra Spa & Bistro, Yogyakarta)Asam Fish Soup (Alhambra Spa & Bistro, Yogyakarta)Dory Ceviche (Alhambra Spa & Bistro, Yogyakarta)Dory Ceviche (Alhambra Spa & Bistro, Yogyakarta)Boneless Lamb (Alhambra Spa & Bistro, Yogyakarta)Boneless Lamb (Alhambra Spa & Bistro, Yogyakarta)

Level 8

I read another post about food you posted.

"How to find the best angle for any food photo"

Got so many great ideas from there. This is also a great post here. Thanks, @AnnaDickson for sharing.

I am a big food lover, hunter and ....................

🙂

Level 8

With this information, I'm sure I will have better food pictures now. Thanks for sharing.