AnnaDickson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

The lighting tip that makes food look delicious

We hope you’ve been enjoying Eat Like a Local month so far! This week, we’d like to introduce you to one of our favorite food bloggers, New Delhi-based Shivesh Bhatia of Bake with Shivesh. Shivesh is a 21-year-old political science graduate, but he plans to study pastry in Paris and make baking his career. His towering cakes and colorful tarts have earned him an Instagram following of more than 86,000.

See four of Shivesh’s best tips below, and keep sharing your own great food photos on social media with #LocalGuides.

Avoid flash. Always shoot in natural light. Artificial light sources, especially built-in flash, completely spoil the colors of food. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)Avoid flash. Always shoot in natural light. Artificial light sources, especially built-in flash, completely spoil the colors of food. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)

Focus on the food. While composing your frame, make sure the food is the star of the picture. Feel free to use props (without cluttering the frame), but the food must stand out. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)Focus on the food. While composing your frame, make sure the food is the star of the picture. Feel free to use props (without cluttering the frame), but the food must stand out. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)

Keep your camera steady. Even the slightest shake will give you a blurry picture. Try again if that happens. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)Keep your camera steady. Even the slightest shake will give you a blurry picture. Try again if that happens. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)

Learn about food. It is extremely important to understand the food you’re shooting. You can’t select the right angle, composition, or styling until you understand your subject. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)Learn about food. It is extremely important to understand the food you’re shooting. You can’t select the right angle, composition, or styling until you understand your subject. Photo and tip by Bake with Shivesh (@shivesh17)

New Delhi, Delhi, India
48 comments
Level 9

Re: The lighting tip that makes food look delicious

I will use light more efficiently to take my food photos @AnnaDickson 😊👍

Level 10

Yes. Light. It's all about the light!

Nice post, and i've already watched the YT tutorial by Shivesh!

Great tips, thanks for sharing @AnnaDickson

Level 9

Very useful tips, thanks for sharing @AnnaDickson

Level 9

@HelloSamsonR @NareshDarji @NarenChandra @Anonymous @MedRidaZ @AkmalB @SalmaanN @MahabubMunna check this ...

Wonderful free Photos light techniques training from @AnnaDickson 👍😊👍😊📣📣📣📣

Huge thanks 📣📣📣📣

Connect Moderator

I tend to agree flash is awful if misused, and phone flash is nearly always terrible - it's designed for people about 1 to 2 metres from the phone not food that is up close. However, introducing additional light is one of the great joys of photography - photography literally means drawing with light- that can be existing natural light or it can be in introduced light.  When you want to introduce light without having to master the craft of flash you can do well using a small portable light source to enhance the natural light. Use a light source that is daylight coloured about 4300 kelvin - the average LED phone light or torch (flashlight) is bright white and this does yuck things to colour unless you manage your white balance. Introducing a warm yellow light can do amazing things. A old style bulb torch (flashlight) can be good for this.

Regards

Paul

Connect Moderator

Great useful Tips @AnnaDickson

Thanks for sharing. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 8

Thanks for tagging @OSAMA,  wonderful experience !!

@OSAMA wrote:

@HelloSamsonR @NareshDarji @NarenChandra @Anonymous @MedRidaZ @AkmalB @SalmaanN @MahabubMunna check this ...

Wonderful free Photos light techniques training from @AnnaDickson 👍😊👍😊📣📣📣📣

Huge thanks 📣📣📣📣

Level 10

Excellent @AnnaDickson Thanks for the useful and valuable tips 😊😊👍👍👍. Now I will take quality and smarter photos 🙂

Level 10

@OSAMA Now you can take quality food photos 😂😂😂. I see you really benefited from the lightning tips 😊😊👍