HarryRoberts's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Suggestion and a Complaint

I have around 1000 photos posted and around 2.3 million views.  I would suggest rather than awarding points for simply posting a photo (anybody can do that, but I still think points for posting photos should remain), Google should have a points award process where local guides should also be awarded points based on the number of views.  This would reward quality over quantity.  There are sooooo many really poor quality photos posted, and I don't like the fact that they each receive the same number of points as the high quality photos others post using very high end camera gear and best photographic practices.  It is like Google has failed to reward local guides for the response they receive from their reviews, photos, and videos and only focus on quantity.  I know Google can do better than that. They just want us to feed their big data analytic machine and are not so interested in the finer details of quality postings. I would say the same thing about reviews... award points for "likes" and comments on reviews instead of simply awarding points for each instance.  There are very few, if any, incentives for quality and thoughtful contributions... just incentives for feeding the machine. I think that sucks.

2 comments
Level 7

Re: Suggestion and a Complaint

and why does my badge only have 4 points when I am a level 7 Local Guide?

Level 8

Re: Suggestion and a Complaint

@HarryRoberts an interesting proposition.  I strive to load only good quality photos on maps but there are a lot of really bad ones out there.  It would be nice if there was quality control but I am sure with the millions of uploads that Google staff do not have the time.  Your views proposal is good but it will also not always reflect quality.  There was another LG on the forum who could not understand why his low quality picture of a bed at Disneyland Paris had so many views.  In his case the Disneyland point of interest had so many visitors that his bed got over a million views.  I do wish there was a way to reward quality, as you point out.  Nick