AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Street photography and privacy, can we share photos online?

I like to do street photography and share this with everyone. Recently I uploaded few street photographs in Local Guides Connect, and I got some comments from my friends about the privacy issues of individuals and places. 

I did a quick research, and I found laws are different from country to country. Please see this article in Wikipedia. I am from Sri Lanka and I could not find any photography rights law in Sri Lanka as in some other countries. In Ontario Photographers Rights it says a couple in an intimate embrace cannot be photographed from the sidewalk through their window. If the couple were outside and in the same embrace then they could be photographed legally.

This article in the techradar.com talks about the photography rights law in UK. 

Can everyone share their thoughts, laws in their countries and problems faced by you when you uploaded street or any other photos online? Then we can understand more about photography rights, especially in public places.

As photographers, we should respect the privacy of others and we should know our limits.

Sri Lanka
1 comment
Level 3

Re: Street photography and privacy, can we share photos online?

This is a difficult question when it comes down to the laws of the land.  In my opinion anybody in a public place can be photographed.  If somebody would walk up to me and ask me to delete their photo I would do so.

But if nobody complains I assume it is OK.

Shots of children are a different matter and I would never take pictures of children without first consulting their parents of guardians.