yn's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6
Level 6

Street View horizon discrepancy between iPhone app and published version

I'm new to 360 degree photography. I'm using a Ricoh Theta SC to contribute photospheres to Google Street View.

I have many questions, but the most frustrating problem I've come across lately is the horizon discrepancy between what iPhone app shows when compared to the published version in Google Maps. The published version often have an annoying tilt for some reason.

Here's an example. In this photo, I was standing still, holding my hand up above my head, trying to hold the camera as level as possible.

IMG_1921.PNG

It's not perfectly level, but it's close enough. However, once I publish this photosphere via the Street View app, this is what I see on Google Maps.

tilt.png

This happens on a regular basis, and I can't figure out what went wrong. I realize that the Theta has gyroscopes that some would like to disable in certain situations (e.g. when shooting a video inside a racing car with plenty of G-forces), but I was standing still for a photo in this case. More importantly, everything looks fine in the app itself. It's only when it's published does it become tilted for some reason.

Can someone help me figure out what's going on here?

I also noticed that more often than not, the compass heading in my pictures are quite wrong, so I usually have to fix it manually through the iPhone app. Could this be the culprit somehow? Is it possible to get the correct compass heading in the first place?

2 comments
Level 8

Re: Street View horizon discrepancy between iPhone app and published version

I use a little app called edit360 which is brilliant for editing horizon issues.. save out and it will look great when uploaded. its available for Android as well as iOS.

The compass error is because GPS and compass data come from your smartphone rather than from the Theta camera.   if you do like me, walk away from the tripod, then turn to look at the tripod chances are heading is wrong.  however if you arrange so the button face you when you walk away and rotate the phone to be about like the camera.. then you should get quite consistent results.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Street View horizon discrepancy between iPhone app and published version

Hi, @yn

You can edit the image with Ricoh Theta Basic app for PC. Once you export top/bottom correction, it is ok.

Try it! Here it is.

Toyo