NatalieP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Street View Moderator

Street View app- New Features released!

Hi Local Guides,

The Street View app team has just launched some new features and we are excited to tell you about them!

Looking for more points? Tap on the “Contribute” tab in the app and you’ll see a list of 50 nearby locations that don’t yet have 360 imagery published to Google Maps. Pinch the screen to create your personal, targeted radius of locations on the map. Tap on the circles that represent the locations and select the desired image thumbnail to see more information about that specific location, including opening hours. You’ll also see an estimate of the number of views this location might generate.  More instructions are available in the Help Center. Remember it’s an estimate so it could be less or, of course, even more.

And speaking of views, you can now share photos, see view counts for your published imagery, and check out your personal stats all in the app’s Profile tab! From the Profile tab, tap on Stats to see your top 360 photos, the 360 photos you have most recently published, and the number of your Maps approved photos. It is a great way to showcase your portfolio.

You’ll also notice that the Connectivity Editor is now available to everyone. We’ve made connecting your 360 photos in the app even easier, enabling you to create your own Street View experience. Detailed instructions are found in the Help Center. More information about the Street View app can be found in this post.

Don’t have the Street View app yet? Download it here.

Happy shooting!

Screenshot_20161205-130801.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 1.32.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-06 at 10.51.29 AM.png

17 comments
Level 8

Re: Street View app- New Features released!

Hi @NatalieP,

Thank you for the update.  I am using Android version 2.0.0.140637942

In the Link Editor, can we remove a particular link between two photospheres manually?  If I recall correctly, in previously version, when I long tap on an existing arrow, it will allow me to remove it.  Now, it seems only add new links after long tap.  (Or the touch position precision requirement is much higher now?)

Suggestions:

1.  I want a separate Location Editor.  Now, only in Linking Editor, I can move the red-dots (representing location of photos) to the correct locations.

- I am hopping after manually correct the photo location, auto-linking can work much better

2.  I want a manual trigger of "auto-linking"

3.  I want a manual trigger of "remove all links"

4.  I want the ability to overlay an indoor map to the "Satellite View", to assist placing the red-dots to correct positions.  (Only visible to myself is ok.  But why not allow me to control the indoor map visibility with an option in future?)

Questions: 

1.  After change of Location, Links, what should be the time required for Maps to refresh?

Level 8

The two v-tours are refreshed on Map about 10 hours after edited in SV.

Screenshot_20161207-115346.png

https://goo.gl/maps/EJ1EpqaRWrK2

Screenshot_20161207-115306.png

https://goo.gl/maps/waH3u3Htt9M2

The result is exactly as expected.  I hope the links will not got lost overtime.

This post will serve as a record for myself.

Level 10

Thanks for the update, @NatalieP

Just a comment: the "estimated views" do not appear for every location. I guess it only appears when the number is at least 10 (as I could not see lower numbers). I have no problem with this of course just mentioning. 

Otherise great, new features - and I hope that the work done on the connectivity editor will cause less bugs in the future, too. I will keep experimenting.

@YK1001: great suggestions!

Level 8

While using the Link Editor, my SV got "stopped" once every 30 to 60 minutes.

(I am doing 118 photos' linking of a Museum.)

Android 7.0.  Nexus 6.  SV 2.0.0.140637942

Level 10

@YK1001 wrote:

While using the Link Editor, my SV got "stopped" once every 30 to 60 minutes.

Hi @YK1001, Are the links that you have set so far at least saved somehow or do you need to start over all the time? 

118 images are a huge number indeed - I remember reading a while ago that the max. number of photo spheres you can add to and connect in a virtual tour is (was) 100 but I can no longer find the info on the most relevant page here: 

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7011737

Level 8

@Csaba,  there is no auto save.  So need to manual save from time to time.  Otherwise all edits are lost.

Because the museum is quite rectangular, thus the positions of the red-dots is a mess.  (And in-door, no usable Geo-tag.)

While doing this linking, I really think that I have use more help from the App.

I will have more "suggestions" coming for sure.

Level 8

Hi @NatalieP,

After double check, it turns out that:

1.  Photospheres are linked in Desktop Maps

2.  Same photospheres are not linked in Android Maps (even after uninstall Maps and reinstall)

What will be the best channel to report this issue discrepancies of linked PhotoSpheres between Android Maps and Desktop Maps? 

Street View Moderator

Hello @YK1001,

Thanks for this. I'll have to take a look and see what is going on. Has it been at least 24 hours since you published?

In the meantime, it would be very helpful if you could leave feedback using the steps below:

Have feedback?

Send us feedback by accessing your general profile through the menu in the Street View app.

1. Tap on the three line “hamburger menu” in the top left of the Street View app
  2. Tap “Help & Feedback” located at the bottom of the left hand panel
  3. Tap “Send feedback” at the bottom of the list

If you’re sending information about a crash or a bug, please be as specific as possible with details of when and how you encountered the problem.

If you have ideas for new features, feel free to submit them using the same process and prefacing it with [Feature request].

Level 8

Hi @NatalieP,

It is well over 72hrs.

On Wednesday, I can see the linkings updated in Desktop Maps after using Link Editor in SV.

So it is only Android Maps showing the PhotoSpheres as not linked.