flodymx's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Street View SAMSUNG GEAR 360 2017

Hello, Google Moderators @MariaBi @Yohanad , Have a nice day. I love ♥️ Street View Photography very much, That's why i have to buy new version (Samsung gear 360- 2017). Here i reading all massages but i can't find any easy solution as like gear 360 old version. Please do something about gear 360 new version update for us.My Samsung Gear 360 2017My Samsung Gear 360 2017

Samsung gear 360 2017Samsung gear 360 2017

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Level 8

Exactly. Well said @OmarBD

Facing the same issue here. I'm eagerly waiting for an update from Google+Samsung!

Level 9

@praveesh, MOmarF , Nothing to be done.  Samsung took it out. When I had one I spent hours online with tech support the end of it was they do not support it anymore. The best thing Google can do is take the product off the list of cameras that work with it. Samsung says it does not. It takes a huge workaround to make it work. Other do work and work well.  the moderators cannot change the false listing in the information pages for Streetview. Engineering took the feature out I believe because of the feature overheated the camera. They Samsung gave no indication of an update. Google should correct the miss information on the page or show a clear way it works as expected.  The street view page still shows the out date camera you can not buy new but when you do to more details it links to 2017 information so you naturally assume it will work. I cut my losses in time and effort and got a different camera. You should do the same.  Whoever disagrees should get one track how many steps and time it takes to get one photo live on street view and compare it to something like the theta or other cameras and post the time and effort level, then justify the difference.

Level 9

@Yohanad

Can you answer if the Street View App supports SAMSUNG GEAR 360 2017?

On this help board the problem was said to be escalated yet 4 months later it is not working. 

https://support.google.com/maps/forum/AAAAQuUrST8y7k0-_3myj4?hl=en

The frustration is that I uploaded the app and used the recommendation off the app to choose this camera.

The camera works with the Gear 360 app but not the Street View app. 

Your help is greatly appreciated @Yohanad thank you.

Scott

Level 9

@Biscombe No it does not work right.  Others are way better and not likely to be an update to make it better.  With a huge amount of work, you can get it to make a 360 picture 10X harder than others.  Google should not have it listed as working (2016) did (2017) was downgraded. It could not handle stitching the photos.  I had it and was able to return it, fortunately!

Level 9

@davidcox 

I guess the big questions is why is it still listed as a compatible product?

Level 10

@davidcox I hope Google Street View App team solution the problem. thanks for your contribution. And @Biscombe I have to agree with you.

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Level 8

There are 1000s of LocalGuides who bought Gear 2017 with the hope to connect with Streetview App and help the world! Everyone may not have the option to return it 😞

Level 9

@praveesh  I agree and have 2-3 days of work into trying to get it to function and finally chat with tech support said the feature taken out to stitch the photos.  They have not corrected the link. I would love to see who is involved in the program use it and compair it to the other 360 products and report back on it. Then they would take down the link. @TokyoJoe have you used the 2017 version?

Level 10

I found a version of the gear 360 app that was moded for androids that are not Samsung and it works fine when taking pix.  However the gear 360 2017 cannot be used with GSV app!  Even with Samsung phones!  So until Samsung decides to do something about it, it will never work.  The gear 360 2017 was given to me so I figured out the entire process, but the quality of the final 360 was not good enough and the gps does not work at all (you get the gps of the location when you first connected your phone to the camera, and it NEVER changes).  But hey, there's a workaround for that too which I've used.

So I bought a Ricoh Theta V for $430 and easily connected to GSV, BUT the gps is only accurate to 70-80 feet so the above GPS workaround is required to be accurate and you cannot connect to GSV and use the workaround.  So I've taken a couple of thousand pix at 6 mph with the quickest time interval of 4 seconds.  Moved them to my pc, processed them with the Theta software to straighten them (Straightening works fantastically!), then used GPicSync to set the GPS based on the time synced from the phone to the camera.  Then move all the pix to my phone, then post with GSV.  I've had great success doing that, but not ultimate success.  Occasionally, google rejects hundreds of pix, and I don't know why, and yes that for another post.  So I contacted Ricoh tech support and they said they'd look into the GPS accuracy problem.  I've checked my phone and it's accurate to 10 feet outdoors.  So the GPSLogger app on my phone is accurate to 10 feet and that's almost close enough for government work as my brother-in-law says.  I bought the Theta at Best Buy, but am past the 30 return policy, but thee credit card I used (on purpose) allows returns up to 90 days for any reason.  So I'm going to return the Theta.

I just bought a Xiaomi Mijia 360 Panoramic Sphere Camera or MI Sphere 360.  It has a much higher res for the 360 photo's, but lower for video 3.5k, not 4k.  But I don't do video so I bought it for $200.  There's a $430 version with 4k video and some other good features)  It is a flat shape and needs a flat mount instead of round, so I made one.  It cannot connect to GSV and has an effective minimum interval of 4 seconds, so I can continue at 6 mph.  It has an accuracy of 35-40 feet, so it only combines 2 pix for each location (the Theta combines 4 pix for each location), so I use the same GPSLogger workaround.  It also does not stitch in the camera, like the gear 360 2017, but that doesn't matter as I processed all my Theta pix thru the Theta pc app anyway.  So this is where I'm at, a MI Sphere mounted onto my bike helmet while taking pix.  Then attaching the camera to the pc and having the MI Sphere PC app grab the pix off the camera, stitch, and save to my pc.  I then process with the GPicSync using the log file off my phone from GPSLogger phone app.   I then check the location in Lightroom and tweak any pix not where I want/took them, export, upload to my camera and use the camera app to share with GSV, then in GSV add a maps listing, then post.  Complicated, and time consuming, but it works when google accepts the pix, which is most of the time.  I generally try to upload 50 pix at a time in the GSV, but I've uploaded 270 at one time successfully.  When I tried 400, the GSV app failed.

If you're just taking one pix at a concert or whereever, the Theta is the best 360 camera out there, it connects to GSV and will work properly in a short time and the GPS will be close enough (70-80 feet).  But if you're trying to street view all the parks in your city like I am, it is no better than the MI Sphere.  I really didn't like the output of the gear 360 2017 so I won't use it.  I'm a level 8 at 42k points going for level 9 at 50k points.  I'm making it so everyone can see, thru street view, all the parks in Bolingbrook IL.  I've even added one park not on google maps and then added the street view and it worked great.