flodymx's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Re: Street View SAMSUNG GEAR 360 2017

Could someone please pass a message to the Street View app team to add a support for the New 2017 Gear 360 camera. Thanks!

Level 9

@JanneP  I had a Gear 360 (2017) version and it is not an issue from my understanding with Google it is how they changed the software in the new Gear. I was surprised because usually getting the new version is the latest and greatest. I this case they stepped back on integration with Streetview. I spent a lot of time on it a tech support person said it is gone. Googles page does not reflect the change they show a 2016 version but click through and you get to link for 2017.  To make it work you need to take the shot, load it to the camera, have it convert to 360 on the phone immediately.  Then save it. You can not go back and convert saved files, so you lose the work if not done right. I think it was too much processing on the 360 so it has to be done on phone.  I found a work around but was able to return it and get a theta is much easier and faster, with more shot control. But more money.  I was successful in getting the 360 to work and be accepted in street view maps, so there is a gray area there. If you are stuck let me know.

Level 8

Even I'm facing the same issue with Gear 360 (2017). What is the best way to resolve this issue ?

Level 9

1) take the shot

2) have settings that save it to phone

3) render the picture to 360 on the phone. 

4) then you can upload to maps utility or download to pc or edit.  

5) The key is it requires a phone to save and render in, can not be done on its own.

Let me know if you get stumped I am doing this from memory I returned mine.

Level 10

As davidcox said, the gear 360 2017 does not itself support the GSV app.  (editorial note: not supporting GSV is a travesty!!!) So no I've never been able to connect the cam to the app.  But there is another work around, but it is time consuming.  I have a pixel XL and did get the wifi direct gear mgr app v1.0.00-2 to connect and live view just fine.

1. take the shots

2. download to pc

3. open dir in Gear 360 Action Director v2

4. Wait for the auto stitching to finish including video - this is the only way to get the full res = 5472 x 2736 photo - in cam stitching is at a lower res per Samsung

5. look in settings - File - Export folder:  in the sub folder '360' you will find the 1x2 full res stitched jpg!

6a. it's always best to post with the GSV app so load to your camera and post and move each pix to it's place and orientation.

6b. of course you can always post thru your pc like always, but you have to use the app to move each pix to it's place and orientation anyway.

It also turns out that the gps coordinates saved appears to bunch pix that were taken 10 feet apart per google spec.  So I have had to always move EVERY pix after posting.  If I don't find a way to fix that, I'll buy a new GSV READY certified camera.  I might do that anyway because of the GSV READY certification.  https://developers.google.com/streetview/ready/

Level 9

@mikejbb  Great post I never found the action director app so was not able to stick photos taken after of the gear 360. Fortunaly I bought the 360 at best buy and was able to return it. I would love to know why some one at google does not Samsung 360  from the page it just is not appropriate to be there.

Level 10

Hi @flodymx,

Yes, 2017 version dose not support connect automatically also placing all photos in first shoot geo location, but i have solutions you have http://www.geotagphotos.net/ mobile app and desktop application, check out their website for more info and guide.

Check this

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/Mahalaxmi+Cross+Road,+Paldi+Gaam,+Paldi,+Ahmedabad,+Gujarat+3800...

Abid Shaikh

Abid Shaikh
http://www.abid.in
Level 8

Can you detail the process ?

Level 10

@praveesh wrote:

Can you detail the process ?

1) Download GeoTagPhotos mobile app from website.

2) Creat trip name and press start button, before start make sure you have setup 5 seconds interval.

3) After pressing the START buton take the 360 photos from Gear 360.

4) After completed Photoshoot go to GeoTagPhotos app and stop the tour.

5) Now you have to download desktop version or mac version from their website.

4) Open desktop app select offline and choose .GPX file which is located in your GeoTagPhotos app.

5) Select stored photos path and start the geotag button and desktop app will be added shooted locaion in those photos.

6) After importing all photos in STV app all photos are automatically placed in their location.

Abid Shaikh

Abid Shaikh
http://www.abid.in
Level 8

Wow 🙂 Thanks a lot for these details 🙂

Just 2 queries :

1) What's the process of uploading these connected 360 photos to streetview?

2) Isn't this a Paid App?