mtbdude's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Samsung Gear 360 2017 Quality

Has anyone had any experience with the Samsung Gear 360 2017?  I curious on the quality.  How do Street Views compare with the Gear 2017 to an iPhone7 Plus with multiple images?

Thanks

Mark

Charlotte, NC, United States
15 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 7
Solution

Re: Samsung Gear 360 2017 Quality

A new firmware update came out for the Gear 360 (2017) today that adds the ability to connect to Street View.

View solution in original post

Level 9

@mtbdude  Do not buy the gear 360 (2017) for street view photo use. It no longer supports that feature. I had one, worked 2 full days to get it to work and it is just a pain. The quality is about the same as the Theta and the effort is 10 times harder.  The Theta has way more control over settings to get better pictures but they are not DSLR quality. I have not used a cell phone yet to compare the quality but am sure they would but up a level. The Theta can be fairly fast in the shooting but I go back and edit out the base of the tripod in photo shop so that takes some time. Certainly faster than the stitching.

Level 9

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.  The iPhone 7 Plus does a fantastic job, it generates a beautiful 35MP image with great quality, it just takes more time that a 360 would.

I have a couple questions regarding a DSLR:

• What software do you use to stitch and upload with?
  • How many shots does do you use?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mark

Level 9

@mtbdude  So far i have only used the Theta S to get qualified. I am stuck in the approval process and trying to walk be for I run.  When I get the states updated and in the trusted photo program and then going to start using my DSLR.  I have PTiGui and am just about to experiment with it.  If you look up and follow LucioV he has a lot of great posts but not sure of the number of shots he takes. Some are duplicates to get the right HDR effect for the total shot. 

Level 9

@davidcox  thanks for the advice. I recently purchased gear 360 (2017 edition). you  have mentioned it is not supporting that feature. I want to know, why it is not supporting the feature. what exactly not supporting gear 360. Is there any other way to upload the images? RICOH THETA SC resolution is less than Gear 360 (2017) but Theta SC supports Street view.
Could you help me understanding the issue with Gear 360.

Level 9

|Hey @mtbdude I think Samsung gear website will help you the most.

Better Try there for more information.

Best of luck

Level 7

@jaya6v@mtbdude@RonneBD

The gear 360 2017 was never google street ready. But the Gear 360 2016 is Google street ready and even has a dedicated function for it. The only problem is the 2016 model was made specifically for Samsung phones and does not play well with anything else than just Samsung phones.

I have both the 16 and 17 the 16 has more megapixel picture than the 17.

Hope this clarify a bit of the misinformation that is on this post. 

Level 9

Thanks a lot Alex for your clarification. I'm also facing the same issue. I am planning to switch to 2016 gear 360. New one is good for videos.

Level 10

@alexd51 wrote:

...I have both the 16 and 17 the 16 has more megapixel picture than the 17... 

Yes, it's a shame they decreased the resolution! Even that of the 16 is not ideal but now...

Level 7
Solution

A new firmware update came out for the Gear 360 (2017) today that adds the ability to connect to Street View.