SteinArneJ's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Ricoh Theta questions

I'm seriously considering the Ricoh Theta S (or maybe SC - which is the same except for limited video recording and streaming, functionality that has absolutely NO interest for me).

Does some of the users of this camera here know if it is possible to make HDR photos with the camera when light conditions are difficult - that is to be able to take f.ex. 3 photos on the same location with 3 different settings?

I read somewhere that the Theta has an auto alignment function. Does this mean that holding the camera in a horizontal position on a long stick outside a steep cliff or similar, the photo will still have the horizon correctly placed, and the stick will be visible on one side of the photo?

I won't need a ball head or similar to place the camera in an upright position?

17 comments
Level 7

Re: Ricoh Theta questions

Theta support HDR down to 2 sec, this will cover pretty dark areas if ISO goes up, but it will also ad noise to picture..

https://goo.gl/maps/7YKRuPxQ2Tx

S and SC has more differences, go with the S. It simply makes better pictures.

-->And as far as I know, Ricoh is the only camera that can take 13 bracketed pictures.<--

If this is HDR enough for you. 🙂

Sensor isn't that great in low light, but compared to it's competitors, it's fantastic.

Level 10

Level 7

Photoshop works, you will lose sphere function of picture, but it can be fixed with ExifToolGUI (You can turn a flat image into a sphere).

PTGui works. Had some issues in the beginning, and then I managed to make it work, but it was just a test, not using it anymore.

Haven't tried any more apps, as it works great with the programs I have.

Funktions is a slight overkill and I probably will never use it again.

Level 8

Hi @PatricL!

Do you know a test showing the differences between Theta S and SC. Would be nice to see how different they are!

Level 7

No, officially they same it's the same.

But if you compare image quality, it's a clear visible difference.

The hardware is simply better in S, some functions might not work in SC.

Ricoh is always update firmware in it and ad new features, half of them only work in SC.

Level 8

@PatricL

S vs SC: Are you sure the quality of photo difference isn't only the photographer? 😉

Level 7

Very, it's a cheap version of an S.

They don't brag with what is changed, only tell what is the same on the paper.

Level 5

I'm not sure, but I think only Theta S supports HDR. For SC you will need to manually bracket the shots and post process them.

Am I right, @PatricL?

I am also considering Theta S (or SC if the above is not true and a high dynamic range can be easily produced using SC). 

The photosphere link you posted, @PatricL, is produced with Theta S? What other photos of yours are produced with it?

Do you use any software for post-processing (beside removing the tripod and yourself from the picture)? I mean, do you increase the dynamic range in any way after taking the photo?

Level 7

Yes, posted link is done with Theta S HDR 2 sec.

A theta don't preform well in uneven lit areas, sun on one wall and shadow on the other.

It can be fixed with bracketing in the Theta S only, it has 13 steps that you manually have to set each one.

I use ptgui for putting them together, to slow, faster to grab the DSLR kit.

Other sample pictures done from me and my Theta S.

Computer Store Taken at dusk when the Theta S works best.

Texas Chicken sunlight outside is at moments to strong for the HDR.

Mountain Cabin at dusk.

Furniture Store

In a Car with heavy tinted windows and upside down.

Outside in daytime fairly evenly lit area. HDR kicks in and save the day.

Outside in daytime uneven light. the ±2.0EV HDR of the theta is not enough. Need to do some + or - to set light correct on the object you're take a photo of.

From Ricoh's webpage

SC

Still image: Auto, Shutter Priority, ISO Priority, Manual.

S

Still image: Auto (Noise reduction/ DR compensation/ HDR), Shutter Priority, ISO Priority, Manual.

Looks like the HDR is missing on the SC, or if they just forgot the () that show HDR on S, if so, why they even bother selling this camera?

But I'm not the correct person to ask about this, as I got an S.

@SteinArneJ do you got HDR on your SC?

No post processing for me on a theta, this is for budget shooting + it really isn't improving image, rather the opposite.

I use small tripods only.

Go 10 meters, set timer to 10sec and then hide/run.

If I process image, it's with ptgui (sinc256 interpolation) and photoshop. Hardly noticeable that it had been edited. But I don't do this.