Betchaboy's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Ricoh Theta SC Buggy Wifi

Hi all,

I recently bought a Theta SC and I'm finding the Theta S App on Android (Pixel) is having a lot of trouble accessing the camera over wifi.

I turn on the camera wifi, and all indications are that the phone is connected to the wifi, but when I try to access the camera via the Theta S app, I get a message saying that it is not connected.  If I open Streetview I can access the camera fine. Clearly there really is a connection happening, but the ThetaS app is very flaky in being able to access it.  If I fiddle with the wifi (turn it off and on, forget it and reconnect to it, or even reboot the phone) it eventually works, but it's incredibly buggy.

Anyone having any similar experiences?  Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Chris Betcher | Sydney Australia
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
6 comments
Level 8

Re: Ricoh Theta SC Buggy Wifi

Level 9

@Betchaboy I'm also using Theta S and Pixel, also I have the same issue. I thought it is something with my app. also noted it came after the Theta app update. thesedays I'm using SV app and uploading photos to GM. did you try with any other mobile (other than Pixel), because earlier I used iPhone and it was working.

@ThanulakshanS thanks for tagging 🙂

Level 9

@Betchaboy  I have had the exact same problem. Some times it is just plain stupid then it just starts to work. I just have to plan some time and patience to fiddle with it then it starts to work and holds pretty well. Just never know. I just found and update and hope that helps. Have loaded it but not used it since the upload.

Level 8

Just a random thought
WiFi is NOT a long distance communications medium. How far are you from the camera when this happens. Are there trees, walls... stuff between you and the camera blocking the signal?
-
I'm using a different camera, but I find that anything more then 5 to 7 meters (15 to 20 feet) is the max range of the signal AND If I hide behind a tree, or brick wall, I have to stick the camera out (where it's sometimes visible in the photo sphere) and wait for it to re-connect before I can shoot.
-
I find this range varies depending on what cell phone or tablet I'm using, so I guess both the camera AND the controlling devices WiFi influence max range.
-
Anybody have thoughts on this ?

Level 8

Wifi itself can be long range.  Depends on transmission power, transmission directions, attena type, etc.

I remember in the early Wireless B days, I connected my home route with my friend's home router which is 1km away in line of sight.

I own a ThetaS.  I find the direct line of sight range to be 10 meters my my Nexus6 and Asus Zen2 Laser.

Definitely depends on the Mobile phone used, signal interference of the time, even battery level of the devices.

Level 9

@Betchaboy wrote:

Hi all, 

I recently bought a Theta SC and I'm finding the Theta S App on Android (Pixel) is having a lot of trouble accessing the camera over wifi.

I turn on the camera wifi, and all indications are that the phone is connected to the wifi, but when I try to access the camera via the Theta S app, I get a message saying that it is not connected.  If I open Streetview I can access the camera fine. Clearly there really is a connection happening, but the ThetaS app is very flaky in being able to access it.  If I fiddle with the wifi (turn it off and on, forget it and reconnect to it, or even reboot the phone) it eventually works, but it's incredibly buggy. 

Anyone having any similar experiences?  Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Common experience with most of cellphones. The phenomenon is more pronounced in an area where other strong wifi sources are accesible. You would not experience the same trouble in a field fare away from wifis. Then additional problem how the phone is handling the wifi signal. Sometimes the Theta ends up in "Secured, Saved" state instead being connected. Have not a clue why. MY solution was to give up my Galaxy S7 edge, dig up my old S4 without simcard. Working much better. But in strong wifi field there will be breaks. A while I had tested with the S7 and just then there was a visual sign of the disturbance. The first photo goes well, thereafter the display flickers intensively and the wifi contact is dead for a while. Reboot, of cellphone, camera do not help immediately, later of unclear reasons start to work.I think the Thetas wifi is ok, the cellphone can not handle concurrent wifi signals. Why can't I set priority on signals? If Theta0058cccc is around than exclude all other wifi sources.

Ricoh was too ambitious with this wifi connection, it would have been much better to have a 1.5 meter (to reach the top of the monopod) long usb cable connection between the Theta and the cellphone. The promised bluetooth connection between Theta V and the cellphone is not much better. You got to start bluetooth when wifi is running, the result is not better as earlier. Very difficult to debug, too much factors playing role. In impossible situations I just make photos via the exposition button and set the Maps ID after download to a PC. A mechanical button pusher would be nice in order to keep the camera away from my hand.

Summary: use as old and simple wifi device as possible, try to avoid strong wifi field. Mys 2 cents worth advice after more than 2000 published spahaerical photos on Maps.